Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever looked at the fact that all our tires have DOT rating on them (meaning that someone qualifies them as able to withstand certain level of usage).

As far as I know there is nothing similar in the wheel category which, if I read this right, means that there really are no guarantees that next time you clip an apex your wheel will no desintegrate on you from impact load.

CCW's seem to be a popular wheel people run but what do some of you more experienced folks have to say on the quality of construction for wheels exclusively for road racing. How much of a factor is it? What types of wheels do you recommend and why? (dont care about look here just techncial specs to prevent my wheel is cooler looking discussion)

-Kapi

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are actually some standards that some wheel manufacturers adhere to. I believe TUV something another is one of those. As to whether CCW meets these standards I don't know. However, the CCW wheel is popular because it's a proven product. Many people use CCW's for road racing in the US, as in real wheel to wheel not just open lapping. They're also 3 piece making it easy to fix. From an engineering standpoint the mesh design center is one of the strongest. CCW rimhalves are built elsewhere I believe. I think Kodiak and Circle Racing wheels use the same supplier although CCW might be building their own rimhalves now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have run CCW now for three years. I have bent two, with flawless customer service they were replaced. I am not aware of a rim standard but like all other parts that go to the race track they should be inspected for cracks, dings and trueness reguardless of manufacture each time before a track event.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If the number of cars running CCWs in SCCA club racing is any indication of a "good wheel" I will say I have seen quite a few of them in the paddock at SCCA races and I attend/work a fair number of races.

Barry H.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Real Racing, and Kodiak, Keizer etc are not legal for use on public roads. Same for many Japanese wheels. I beleve it is a largely un-enforced DOT thing. However when Spoon Racing shipped a race car in from Japan on race wheels for the 25 hour enduro @ T'Hill, it took an extra week to get through customs due to the lack of DOT wheels. they would not allow them to change the wheels either, as the car was impounded.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Real racing wheels are very light and not designed for the load that the DOT requires of a wheel. I run 3 pc. Keizer's on my 71' 240Z. The are very light compared to a similar sized DOT wheel. 10 lbs for a 15 "x10". They even have steel iseats for the lug nuts, something every aluminum wheel should have.

Considering that the Spoon car have any emissions equipment, DOT lights, seat belt, race tires(non DOT), and speedo in Kilo's. I can't see wheels being the only issue especially if it is a race car not to be used on public roads.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow 10lbs how many times have you bent them up?Wheel cost?

·
Registered
526 Posts
bart97 said:
I have run CCW now for three years. I have bent two, with flawless customer service they were replaced. I am not aware of a rim standard but like all other parts that go to the race track they should be inspected for cracks, dings and trueness reguardless of manufacture each time before a track event.
I'll second that. One of the fastners holding the rim halves together broke on a CCW I had on my previous car, and John sent out an entire set of fastners for free. I've got somewhere between 40-50 track days on my current set, and they have gone over plenty of curbs during that time without any problems.

·
Registered
454 Posts
bart97 said:
Wow 10lbs how many times have you bent them up?Wheel cost?

They are only for road racing. I have never had them on the street, atleast less than a mile total. I bought them atleast 10 years ago and got a deal as my friend new the guy that owned Keizer (they where in AZ back then). We both bought a set , $500 for the set.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I could see a 10lb wheel 15 x10 on a 240 z the z's are pretty light. Then there is the supra 3080lbs stripped and needs 18x10.5 18x11.5 probably nearer 20lbs for us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts