Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went today to flush the radiator...and I took a gallon of the Toyota coolant and 2 gallons of distilled water... I told the guy who was helping me to do the flush how to fill it up...

I go to answer the phone and by the time I came back he did the opposite of what I told him....

He put the complete gallon of the Toyota coolant and only 3/4 of the gallon of the distill water....

What should I do..? Do I have to drain the whole thing again..? Or can I just take a little bit of whats there and fill it up with the distilled water...?

·
Registered
535 Posts
sounds like a chemistry problem from high school. only looking at the 7qt of coolant/water you replaced, I calc 57% coolant. based on this chart from mkiv.com, this shows your freeze & boil protection.

% Coolant Freeze Boil
20% 16 253
33% 0 256
40% -12 260
50% -34 265
70% -90 277

you can partially remove the coolant/water mixture in your radiator and replace with water to reduce the % coolant as follows per my calcs.

coolant replaced w/ water % coolant
6 qt 8%
5 qt 16%
4 qt 24%
3 qt 33%
2 qt 41%

I run at 20% coolant with a bottle of water wetter. mind you I never see any snow. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would leave it alone, it works fine. it wont over heat.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
""""sounds like a chemistry problem from high school. only looking at the 7qt of coolant/water you replaced, I calc 57% coolant. based on this chart from mkiv.com, this shows your freeze & boil protection.

% Coolant Freeze Boil
20% 16 253
33% 0 256
40% -12 260
50% -34 265
70% -90 277

you can partially remove the coolant/water mixture in your radiator and replace with water to reduce the % coolant as follows per my calcs.

coolant replaced w/ water % coolant
6 qt 8%
5 qt 16%
4 qt 24%
3 qt 33%
2 qt 41%"""""""

Thanks for doing all that....

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
I run 25% coolant as well. It made my car run a considerable amount colder.

Now, I can rest my hand on the radiator cap after any type of driving, and it's never hot.

billy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like some others have said -- just leave it alone. One gallon gives you freeze protection to minus 1; 3/4th of a gallon gives you protection to 2 degrees. IMO, for around here, I'd rather be safe with minus one, especially if you might find yourself in the mountains during the winter.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
forgot to mention I put in a bottle of water wetter as well.

It's a good idea to use that stuff if you're gonna run 1/4 coolant

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does that water wetter stuff really work...? how can you tell...?
Do they sell thats stuff at pep boys and places like that or do I have to get it from MVP...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts