Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking at a 1996 Toyota Supra that I want to purchase locally. I have a few questions that I would appreciate answered from experienced supra owners.

The car was originally a 96 N/A Auto. He added a turbo kit, and swapped a 5 speed manual transmission in. The car is very clean, with 86,000 original miles, clean carfax, and no paint work seems to be done. I'm trying to get in contact with the local shop that did the swap, but they are closed for the weekend. The ONLY issue currently with the car is that the check engine light is on, because the ECU wasn't switched from an A/T one to a 5 speed manual. He said that there is no issue other than just the light coming on because of this. My question is that, with my experience with mechanics and cars, that this could possibly cause the car to run in an open loop system? causing to run rich, and poor performance? If you could please answer me that, would be greatly appreciated. HERE IS THE AD DETAILS FROM THE LISTING

1996 Toyota Supra Black ext. Black cloth interior. less that 78,000 original miles. Original 2JZ-GE engine T61.58A/R Ptrim Turbo with T4 flange dyno at 363 RWHP. W58 manual 5-speed transmission recently installed with a new clutch. Has the 1998 model tail-lights installed. Stock headlights painted black, Electronics: MAP ECU, Prosport Performance 52mm gauges (boost, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Pressure in an A-pillar triple gauge pod.

Also, could anyone recommend and specific issues or anthing that I should be looking for before purchasing? And do you think 17,000 is a very good deal?

·
Registered
77 Posts
one thing is if you plan to put alot of power down the w58 is only good for like 450whp, so if you plan on putting more down later thats something to keep in mind

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that, but I plan to keep the car the way it is. And wondering what's a good price for one of these? Should the turbo and 5 speed swap drop the value? Because I booked the car as a N/A with 5 speed and retail book on it with miles add is around 20k. So if I buy for 17k maybe I could have some fun in it and sell it down the road for a little bit of profit even?

·
Blue Thunder
3,549 Posts
I thought I knew all the Supras down here !!!! Is that the one pictured in your sig? Is this the one in storage on the Fort maybe? Not the one with the bodkykit?<---My old car. I have
the Blue TT.

Two Supras just changed hands here this weekend. Now a third?!? Get with me and I'll come check it out for you. $17k? Depends on condition of the turbo install, I'd try for $15k.

Go get that code read at Autozone.

B

ps: Who are you on csramotorsports?

·
Super Moderator
10,243 Posts
I don't think that is a good value for $17,000.

The problem with a '96 NA is that it has all the OBD-II headaches with none of the 97-98 facelift benefits. Depending on your local inspection laws that may or may not turn into an additionally huge headache in getting the car registered.
Without knowing the code it's throwing to cause the CEL, it's impossible to say if it's gone into open loop because of it. Auto-> manual swaps might cause a CEL, but since he's added a turbo kit to an OBD-II NA while keeping the OBD-II ECU, chances are the code is actually from O2 sensor check codes since the catalytic converters are probably long gone.

As want2boost mentioned, The W58 itself is not a strong gearbox. Since the seller didn't mention an LSD in the ad, I'm sure it's an open diff too. Stock NA wheels means stock NA brakes.. the list goes on.

It's a buyers market these days, and the additional $5-6k it'd take to buy a good factory TT-6spd is money very well spent, and would make you much happier in the long run.
That gets you an actual GTE engine, a 6-spd gearbox and 6-spd diff, the bigger TT brakes, etc. Just price those things separately and you'll see what I mean.

If you could talk him down to ~$12-13k I think it'd be a good value, but definitely no more than that. Not with TT 6-spds as cheap as they are these days.

Edit: I strongly doubt you'll be able to leave it as it is. You *will* get used to the power and start exploring additional options for more power safely, and you'll be pretty disappointed if you're starting from where that car is right now.

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
^ Jeff is on it today.... for 17k you should be looking at real TT cars... TT autos and some high mile 6speeds... you dont have to buy a local car... that is starting to sound like a poor mans swap / hack job... I would walk away at that price

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I knew all the Supras down here !!!! Is that the one pictured in your sig? Is this the one in storage on the Fort maybe? Not the one with the bodkykit?<---My old car. I have
the Blue TT.

Two Supras just changed hands here this weekend. Now a third?!? Get with me and I'll come check it out for you. $17k? Depends on condition of the turbo install, I'd try for $15k.

Go get that code read at Autozone.

B

ps: Who are you on csramotorsports?
Yes that is the one pictured, it is not my sig it's just a picture. I'd be happy to meet with you to go check the car out, I'm planning to go Tuesday. I live in Augusta.
And I don't know what you mean by "who am I on csramotorsports"? CSRA Motorsports is the name of my dealership and I am the owner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think that is a good value for $17,000.

The problem with a '96 NA is that it has all the OBD-II headaches with none of the 97-98 facelift benefits. Depending on your local inspection laws that may or may not turn into an additionally huge headache in getting the car registered.
Without knowing the code it's throwing to cause the CEL, it's impossible to say if it's gone into open loop because of it. Auto-> manual swaps might cause a CEL, but since he's added a turbo kit to an OBD-II NA while keeping the OBD-II ECU, chances are the code is actually from O2 sensor check codes since the catalytic converters are probably long gone.

As want2boost mentioned, The W58 itself is not a strong gearbox. Since the seller didn't mention an LSD in the ad, I'm sure it's an open diff too. Stock NA wheels means stock NA brakes.. the list goes on.

It's a buyers market these days, and the additional $5-6k it'd take to buy a good factory TT-6spd is money very well spent, and would make you much happier in the long run.
That gets you an actual GTE engine, a 6-spd gearbox and 6-spd diff, the bigger TT brakes, etc. Just price those things separately and you'll see what I mean.

If you could talk him down to ~$12-13k I think it'd be a good value, but definitely no more than that. Not with TT 6-spds as cheap as they are these days.

Edit: I strongly doubt you'll be able to leave it as it is. You *will* get used to the power and start exploring additional options for more power safely, and you'll be pretty disappointed if you're starting from where that car is right now.
Thank you very much

·
Blue Thunder
3,549 Posts
CSRAMOTORSPORTS.COM is the local automotive forums down here. You picked a common name, thought
you were a mod on there or something. You never heard of it?

That guy was originally asking $21k for that Supra !!! What kind of Turbo ? Prolly from E-bay?
He could have bought a 5spd ECU from here dirt cheap !!!

Just for a comparison...I bought a 45k 95 NA for $9k 3 years ago in great shape.
The seller needs to be realistic. It's not a TT Supra. $13-15K because of the mileage
and IF it looks as good in person as that pic. Black Supras don't age well if not taken care off
properly.

B

·
Registered
481 Posts
so you guys are saying since it has single turbo and got a 5-speed tranny installed instead of an auto this will decrease the value? I doubt the owner will let it go for 14k... let's be realistic.

I usually see 1993/1994 NA auto's with 100,000 - 150,000 miles selling in the 13/14k range.

I bought my NA 5-sped with 98,000 miles for 15k, and I thought that was a good price... and this one is already turbo'd, newer, pretty low miles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CSRAMOTORSPORTS.COM is the local automotive forums down here. You picked a common name, thought
you were a mod on there or something. You never heard of it?

That guy was originally asking $21k for that Supra !!! What kind of Turbo ? Prolly from E-bay?
He could have bought a 5spd ECU from here dirt cheap !!!

Just for a comparison...I bought a 45k 95 NA for $9k 3 years ago in great shape.
The seller needs to be realistic. It's not a TT Supra. $13-15K because of the mileage
and IF it looks as good in person as that pic. Black Supras don't age well if not taken care off
properly.

B
Oh ya, I just looked it up. Funny stuff. I am new to the area, expanded my business from California. We should keep in touch. I am going to be opening up a tuner shop shortly. Have the only local Dyno, and retail and install all types of performance upgrades, as well as ECU tuning and Dyno tuning on site.

·
Blue Thunder
3,549 Posts
We should keep in touch. I am going to be opening up a tuner shop shortly. Have the only local Dyno, and retail and install all types of performance upgrades, as well as ECU tuning and Dyno tuning on site.
ARE .... YOU ... SERIOUS !?! Just what we need !!! :rockon:
Most of us go to Atl. or Columbia for tuning. This would be great !!!
But I want you to know, people down here are CHEAP bastards !!!! I would
not quit my day job if I were you !!! But if you need some part time
wrench turners...I'll help !!!

And the guys i roll with could throw some business your way !!! GL with the
endeavor. Get a Supra for a shop demo !!! Nothing attracts them like a Supra !!!

B

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I believe the Supra would be a great shop project car, although I would have to do my homework because the 2jz and associated parts are not my specialty...yet.....obviously LOL. I am planning on a S14 Nissan 240sx with RB26dett and RWD to be the first project car of the shop. But keep in mind, I have my hands full with CSRA Motorsports at the moment, and Modified Motorsports (the name of the tuner shop) isnt planned to be open till 2014. None the less...better late than never ;)

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
I see NA's both auto and 5speed selling for 8-12 with 100.000mi and up... the cleaner low mi ones can get to 14 but not much over that. Its always an NA...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts