Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a mkiv for sale that was originally a non turbo but he has turned it into a Single (SP63). It is a 5-speed of course because it was originally a NA. He kept the stock w58 transmission. Anyways, my question is: Is there anything bad about having a 5-speed single sp63 with all the neccesary mods? I know that the tt stock comes 6-speed, that is why I am asking. I am just getting into the MKIV. Please let me know if everything would be fine or the set backs this could cause in performance, hurting the transmission, etc. Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
480 Posts
is the motor a 2jz-gte? i have the same setup with stock clutch. no slip and pulls very hard. as long as you dont go over like 550hp on that 5 speed i dont think it wouldn't harm anything. make sure its 2jz-gte /sp63 and not an na-t as it would be much better for you to have the 2jz-gte and possibly swap the tranny later along with the rear end. Just better if your going to be modding it and stuff. other than that its your choice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure if it is a 2jz-gte. He has an aftermarket clutch (RPS Max Pressure Plate /w 6 Puck Disk and Unorthodox Lightweight Flywheel). What do you mean rear end? Again, I am just getting into the mkiv. Thanks

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
But, serious now, guys..;)
As far as I know the 2JZ GE block is more or less the same than GTE, or?
The main differences are the pistons and the head. So from that side I wouldn´t see any bigger downsides on this issue.
I would have said that the tranny is the bottle neck at the moment with the limitation in power holding. But, as previously said, around 500hp should be ok for it. The clutch is already a reinforced one. So that is ok.
The rear end is meant to be the differential. If you buy that car and you come along a "cheap" 6 Speed tranny you should interchange the rear end also for gearing ratio and having a limited slip one also (if you don´t have one already right now).

Now it depends also on the price whether it is a good buy or not..
Gerd

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Well hard to say but if it is in that mint shape as described somwhere between 22 and 24 I would have said since it is a 97 with rather low miles...TT or not..
But these are just my lil 0.02
Gerd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts