Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought this to the attention of a friend who said it dosnt sound right.

Basically, say I change my oil. Put about 5 quarts in it, checks out being dead on Full mark.

Now say I run the motor for a bit, drive and get it warmed up. Check oil level, almost completley empty. Is this right?

Friend says it could be a Drainage problem in the motor, or is this supposed to happen?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,210 Posts
Our motors do pump a lot upstairs but no way would it ever read that low just from this.

+1qt in a 7M is your friend at all times.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1JZ, so dont have the 7M oil issue everyone also talks about. Either way though, isnt running to much oil bad for a motor also?

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is how you're supposed to do it. Drain oil, fill oil accordingly on dipstick, start for a few minutes and shut off. Wait for a few minutes then check the oil and add as nescessary. If you run the engine and shut it off and check it right away you will not get an accurate read. Remember, the oil filter needs to get filled up, and some oil is going to be trapped in various parts of the engine so take in account those factors.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
How many quarts is a 1jz supposed to hold? Not all motors hold the standard 5. Does the car smoke?

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know for sure, But again, as the car sits after days of not running, its on full, but when driven to say just the store and back, while warm if checked, it shows near empty.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
What do you mean by "near empty"? It's at the bottom of the stick? Most of the time, if its showing on the bottom of the stick, it means its around 2 qts. low. If its at the "ADD" line, its only 1 qt.
I guess it could be possible that, being 2 turbos(don't know if they could hold a qt. of oil),and if it the oil return system was sludged up enough, it could take longer than normal to drain back into the pan. When I worked for Chevrolet, we got a machine by Bilstien that ran a heated, pressurised, and filtered cleaner through the entire oil system. You could check around with local shops, dealerships, quick lubes, to see if any have one. They could clean out the system for you, if you're concerned that's the problem.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, it would be at the bottom of the stick.
Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll ask around and see if I can get it flushed like you said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts