Supra Forums banner

Question about emmissions test and EGR block-off plate mod.

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Mighty Mouse 
#1 ·
Guys -

My car has been running great for months with the EGR block-off plate and the sending unit bridged with the proper diode. The only engine error code I am getting (according to Toyota's official diagnostic monitor) is the "catalytic converter" because I have no CATs and the car is OBD-II.

Is it safe to assume that when I go in for a state emmission test, that EGR mod will pass undetected? Operationally, will the EGR mod impact emmissions enough to cause the car to fail the test??

Thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

#4 ·
John, if the inspectors do a functional test of the EGR like they do here in California you will fail.

If they test emissions on a roller (IM240) you may also fail since your NOX levels will be too high. EGR cools combustion temps and limits the formation NOX.

If all they do is a tailpipe sniffer at idle and 2500 rpm (no dyno) then you will most likely pass.

G
#5 ·
thank God us houstonians only have a sniffer test at 2500 rpm and at idle..however in the next coming year...we will all have to face the dyno rollers in order for us to pass emissions. It's great to have connections too :D

#6 ·
Thanks for the kind replies.

Chip - are you on-line in Hawaii, or already back home? Glad you were able to get offshore for a while.

Thanks for the expert advice. The reason I asked is that it appears that my RSP is sold to a gentleman in San Jose and I wanted to help him anticipate possible obstacles of CA emmissions. You've helped much, as usual. Take care friend.

John

#8 ·
RSP TRD TT said:
Thanks for the kind replies.

Chip - are you on-line in Hawaii, or already back home? Glad you were able to get offshore for a while.

Thanks for the expert advice. The reason I asked is that it appears that my RSP is sold to a gentleman in San Jose and I wanted to help him anticipate possible obstacles of CA emmissions. You've helped much, as usual. Take care friend.

John
I'm home. It was a short (and busy) trip. I didn't even get time to call Cedric.

Good luck with the RSP sale. I'm sure we'll see you back in yet another Supra. :)

The closer to stock the car is when it is brought into California the easier it will be. All aftermarket parts (like the FMIC) need a CARB Exemption Order Number (CARB EO #). Be careful if your car has a VPC, or a cone style filter. Make sure your PCV is back to stock. Some inspectors will overlook things, plus not many know what a Supra is supposed to look like under the hood, but all it takes is one sharp eyed guy to ruin your day.

#9 ·
The purpose of the EGR is to recirculate exhaust gases coming from the exhaust side and pumping them into the intake air. THis reduces emittions by burning some of the unburnd gases. Also heats up your intake charge which is why we (im yet to do mine, lazy) block it off.

The EGR does not open on idle. I only opens when there is a slight load on the engine. SO if they only check your exhaust with the car off rollers then you should pass with no problem.

Also a leakig egr valve will cause ruff idling. On say a ford or something where the egr is easy to access. Disconnect teh vaccum hose on the to of it. Suck on the tube and you will notice the car start to idle ruff, thats cause your letting exhaust gas into your intake.

Hope that helps some.

Happy boostin.

Hector

#10 ·
Mighty Mouse said:
The purpose of the EGR is to recirculate exhaust gases coming from the exhaust side and pumping them into the intake air. THis reduces emittions by burning some of the unburnd gases. Also heats up your intake charge which is why we (im yet to do mine, lazy) block it off.

Hector
No, emissions of nitrous oxides are reduced due to lower combustion temperatures. Recirculated exhaust gasses burn cooler than air + fuel.

Your description sounds like the old air injection emission controls used during the 70's and 80's to pump air into the exhaust stream, either at the exhaust port or into the exhaust manifold.

#11 ·
I had a 87 conquest which I ported the head on it. oN the exhaust side of the head there was this hole full of carbon that routed its self back towards the intake side of the head. The EGR valve was inline to that and took it out. I know what you mean as far as the injection system etc that are located on the v8 older cars. I illiminated it on my mothers old caprice. But if you pick up any chilton or hayes book etc and read on teh egr, it will tell you that it recycles the exhaust so that it can burn some of the unburned gases being that not all of the fuel is burned.

WHen you recirc gases into your head, your putting that hot exhaust gas in there, causing your intake charge to be hotter, reducing the affect of the intercooler. If the The # 6 cyl is usually the one that blows on the supra . Guess which cyl the egr dumps the exhaust into? 80)

As i said before, the manuals that I have read stated that its to burn un burnt gases. And thats what i believe.

This article is in accordance with you Lag dude

http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-176.htm?iam=howstuffworks_SKD&terms=egr

But if it actually has the purpose of reducing inlet temps, then whats the purose of everyone elliminating it on there cars?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.