Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm extending my RHD 2JZ wiring harness to make the damned thing work on my LHD MKIII. There are some big thick shielded cables in there that I don't dare replace with standard wires when extending the harness, and I was wondering what you guys have used for shielded extensions? I would have searched because I know this has been answered before, but since search isn't currently available, this was my only option.

Thanks!
Collin

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
Replace the entire shielded cable with 2.0 usb cable from the sensor to the ecu. I wouldnt recomend just extending it. There are other cable options but the usb is what most of us use.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace the entire shielded cable with 2.0 usb cable from the sensor to the ecu. I wouldnt recomend just extending it. There are other cable options but the usb is what most of us use.
I'm assuming that each of the wires contained in the USB cable can be used to carry a different signal?

the best way is to extend the harness after all the shielding, and grouping.
Please explain how this works? My belief, supported by zoonwen's suggestion, was that the wires must be shielded from the sensor all the way to the ECU. I suppose I just need to open it up and see what it looks like.

Thanks guy!

Collin

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
use a seperate cable for each signal and combine the 2 larger wires in the cable to carry the signal. You mainly only need to do this to the knock sensors ( 2 cables )

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
im pretty sure you need shielded wire with multiple wires inside of it to wire up the sensors

that there looks like one single wire with the shielding covering it

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im pretty sure you need shielded wire with multiple wires inside of it to wire up the sensors

that there looks like one single wire with the shielding covering it
I was thinking that I'd use one lead for each signal. I figured that as long as it's shielded, it shouldn't matter. :dunno:

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
I was thinking that I'd use one lead for each signal. I figured that as long as it's shielded, it shouldn't matter. :dunno:
It'd be much easier to use a double sheilded wire like stock.. That would work great for the knock sensors though.. 22 gauge is fairly small though.. I would like to find a nice source of 18 gauge double sheilded wire.. For the Cam/crank sensors I simply used the 7m CPS/Distributor wire and just used the 2 to splice in for the crank/cam sensors and reran the knock sensors..

·
single 1j
456 Posts
when i extended my harness i just used the wires from my old wire harness including the shielded wires.. haven't encountered any problems from that..
just go hack your old wire harness

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It'd be much easier to use a double sheilded wire like stock.. That would work great for the knock sensors though.. 22 gauge is fairly small though.. I would like to find a nice source of 18 gauge double sheilded wire.. For the Cam/crank sensors I simply used the 7m CPS/Distributor wire and just used the 2 to splice in for the crank/cam sensors and reran the knock sensors..
when i extended my harness i just used the wires from my old wire harness including the shielded wires.. haven't encountered any problems from that..
just go hack your old wire harness
Great suggestions that I feel sorta dumb for not thinking of myself. lol

Thanks! I'll be cutting up my old harness and using the wires from that.

Collin

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts

Collin
werd best way, since your probably cutting the body plugs off anyways.. why not.. then you can match most of the colored wires when extending it..

·
Registered
22 Posts
OIL PAN FOR THE 2JZ anyone?

anyone have a rear oil pan for the 2jz? i have the soarea engine but i need the complete oil pan for the 2jz. if anyone has it and the r154 bellhousing for a manual transmission let me know.I have a lot of parts for the 7m turbo...willing to make a trade or purchase. u cn email me @ [email protected]

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
anyone have a rear oil pan for the 2jz? i have the soarea engine but i need the complete oil pan for the 2jz. if anyone has it and the r154 bellhousing for a manual transmission let me know.I have a lot of parts for the 7m turbo...willing to make a trade or purchase. u cn email me @ [email protected]
Holy Thread jacking Batman!!!

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
You would be ok using your old harness for the other shielded cables, but you should still replace the entire knocksensor cables. There are quite a few of us who had to go back and rewire the knock sensors because we made the mistake of just lengthing it.

Collin

·
Banned
3,235 Posts
if you take the tape off the end of the harness, you'll find out that therse 8" of wiring after all the grouping, and the shielded wires become regular wires.

on top of that ive done multiple that way with no problems. the jz sieries harness are not that of 7m harness. that whole usb cable is waaaaay over kill. but hey its your time and money.

flaming is not needed, my way works. there is no argument needed.

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you take the tape off the end of the harness, you'll find out that therse 8" of wiring after all the grouping, and the shielded wires become regular wires.

on top of that ive done multiple that way with no problems. the jz sieries harness are not that of 7m harness. that whole usb cable is waaaaay over kill. but hey its your time and money.

flaming is not needed, my way works. there is no argument needed.
I've actually heard the same thing from a friend who has extended a few 2JZ and 1JZ harnesses. I'll look into it while I'm stripping the harness down. I'll be unwrapping most of it since I'm removing all the old auto trans wiring and wiring for the twin turbo VSV's.

Collin

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
USB - Cable = cheap and easy way to wire it up. YOu can wire it up anyway as long as the wires are shielded.
Go to Fry's and pick up shielded usb cable for $5 and it will be more than enough to wire up the knock sensors. FYI- This is not the actual USB cables like for printers and such as they have the usb connectors. If I remember, Iwill take pictures how mine is wired up. My engine/harnesss is out of my car ..

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
USB - Cable = cheap and easy way to wire it up. YOu can wire it up anyway as long as the wires are shielded.
Go to Fry's and pick up shielded usb cable for $5 and it will be more than enough to wire up the knock sensors. FYI- This is not the actual USB cables like for printers and such as they have the usb connectors. If I remember, Iwill take pictures how mine is wired up. My engine/harnesss is out of my car ..
Do they have it in rolls? Pics would be awesome!

Collin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts