Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have an Exedy twin carbon clutch sitting in my house waiting for installation. I've heard on fairly good authority that it requires flywheel bolts from a Celica GTS, but would love to hear someone confirm that so that I can place my order with Curt/Elmhurst.

I do have a set of the correct flywheel bolts (used), but have heard numerous times that it's not wise to re-use flywheel bolts so I'd love to order another set in addition to the stock clutch parts I need.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I decided to take some initiative and call them directly and I'm very glad that I did as they were SUPER friendly and very helpful. I spoke to a tech support guy named Matt and he was very enthusiastic about Supras also.

Here is what I found out:

Recommended Flywheel Bolts - Toyota part number 90910-02103 (TBD which car that is actually for from Toyota)
Torque specs for bolts holding Flywheel to Crank: 36 foot pounds (+ 90 degree turn extra)
Torque specs for clutch cover to Flywheel: 23 foot pounds

He mentioned that it needed at least three 5 second slips before it could be used for drag racing, and at least a 1000 mile break-in (he said 5000 miles is preferred). When I mentioned I wouldn't be drag racing it much, he still recommended three 5 second slips before it would be able to hold peak torque. Carbon disks obviously need heat to hold, and he re-iterated that a few times.

Hope this helps! It certainly helps me. :)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha! I'll let both of you know for sure.

I just ordered the parts from Curt. They are indeed FW bolts from a 2000+ Celica GTS, and may be the same as the older MK3 Supra (we didn't go on to confirm that, but Curt had a hunch). They are definitely shorter than the OEM MKIV TT flywheel bolts, and are the same bolts required for the TRD twin disc clutch with lightweight flywheel. HTH! :)

Steve T.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
He mentioned that it needed at least three 5 second slips before it could be used for drag racing, and at least a 1000 mile break-in (he said 5000 miles is preferred).
well that certainly validates the 3000 miles I put on the clutch ... and the near zero wear effect my driving had on it.

Hope you enjoy the clutch steve, and I most certainly hope you "abuse" it enough to break it in :)

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That will actually be quite challenging for me...since I am not known to be "abusive" towards clutches. It will definitely be a mental shift for me to believe that I'm not actually hurting the clutch by trying to slip it a lot. ;)

Thanks again for the great deal on the clutch Chris. I'm glad it worked out for both of us.

Steve T.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am not a 100% sre but i think,Those are the same bolts has the tt auto bolts.When i was doing my clutch my dealer order the wrong bolts and those are the ones I got.Short ones from the auto.

·
hardtopper
2,409 Posts
I was the guinea pig for this clutch and I found out the hard way about the flywheel bolts. They are made of the same material as the standard turbo MKIV bolts. they are grade 8 bolts. If you have a problem with them you would have had a problem with the stock bolts. The stock bolts are WAY TOO long. They bottomed out on me. The celica flywheel bolt will be fine.

I have only made 512rwtq with mine so far and no problems.

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
What is meant by 5-second slips of the clutch?

It doesn't take 5 seconds to slip the clutch normally :dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Exedy OEM'ed the TRD Twin Disc. AMHIK. :)

I believe they're the MkIV NA bolts as well. You can reuse if you use locktite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts