Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had the block machined its completely flat and is lapped... the aluminum plate that attaches to the front of the block is 5thousands of an inch higher than the block. The HKS MHG i bought is a 1.2mm gasket and the head has been lapped and im putting it on as we speak. will that higher part prevent the head from sealing properly. keep in mind that the piece is only 5 thousands of an inch higher.

please give me any input

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
yah that means your head will sit 5 thou higher in the front then the rear..you might blow the gasket that way.

my stupid machine shop forgot too so what i did was lay a 150 grit peice of sandpaper down on the ground and went back and forth on it with the timing cover till my feeler guage showed no raise above the block deck surface.

·
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks that sounds like what i was gonna do anyone else???

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
if you dont surface the front plate then I can guarantee a bhg

·
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did surface it. I used emry cloth to take the 5 thou off and now the block and front aluminum cover are flat or at least within 1 thousands of an inch. I used my 2 thou feeler gauge and it was under that. I think now I should be okay.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'll just chime in and say good luck, but as unforgiving as metal headgaskets are I really don't have much optimism about this :\ Why not just go and have them machine it real quick? 5 thousandths off that front plate can't cost more than a value meal and you'd have peace of mind. Just my .02 though!

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Take the front plate down slightly lower than the block, so it's not pushing up on the gasket at all.
Then add a bead of form-a-gasket from the block, around the cover back to the block again. Lay your gasket in place and be done with it. The front of the gasket only seals up oil draining back down into the engine. There should be no pressure at that point. (Other than blowby pressure.)

If you leave it up, it will bridge the gasket, and you will have a BHG again. It could also possibly screw up your MHG too if your not careful. (Bend, or indent it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts