Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mainly want to know if its possible to swap the controll arm without disconnecting the Strut or the Axel. I'm about to attack this little project tomorrow morning and need to get the work done as quickly as I can to make a 800 mile trip later in the day.

Acording to my Haynes book, it says just unbolt the 3 bolts and install the new arm while the TSRM says to disconnect the Axel, Strut, 2 lower arms and more.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The hard part is getting to the ball joint nut. To do that, you have to remove the axle from the carrier. It takes a long extension to reach up from the bottom to get to that nut because there's no room to get a wrench on it otherwise. Climb under there and take a look. Then you have to pop that ball joint, which I do by using that extension bar and a hammer. You must disconnect the strut from the carrier, but you probably don't need to remove it from the car. It's definitely easier with the carrier off totally, but it's not necessary.

The Haynes manual is full of it. You don't need to do quite the routine the Toyota book calls for, but definitely more than Haynes says.

Asterix

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it done. I actually did it with removing just the strut from the carrier and kept the axel in place. The controll arm just lifted right out, if the car where upside down, it would have fallen out, so no need for the ball joint removal tool either. Didnt feel like removing the axel, actually, I really really didnt want to, seems like I got away with it :D Car drives much smoother now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How did you torque the new nut to 80ft-lb? If your old upper arm fell out from the carrier, did the new one fit? That tapered shaft it supposed to stick in the hole like any ball joint.

Asterix

S

·
0 Posts
u guys dont know what your saying, we dont have axles period. and no you dont need to take the strut out, but if u do it will be alot easier. Just pop of the ball joint to the hub assembly "carrier" and unbolt the two adjusting camber bolts that connect to the frame and manuver it out. Like i said removing the strut will be easier if you took it out.

You have to get the tool Split fork or some shit for the ball joint, thats what i call it

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New upper arm fit just fine. I didnt have a torque wrench that I could fit in the small space, so I just took a closed wrench and torqued the fuck outa it :x:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts