Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a JDM 2JZ-GTE, ecu, harness, and 6spd coming in from my uncle in Japan and I was wondering what else I would need to drop into a shell. Do I need any parts specific to the j-spec supra or anything of that sort? If anyone out there can give me the heads up I'd really appreciate it. Thanks everyone-

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live here in Japan, and am probably one of the few who has had their engines in anout of their car's here. What car do you plan putting this set up into, an N/A mkiv? PM me..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the jspec engine is a lil different in terms of power. if you want to make the jspec , us .. then get the cams , injector , and turbo from the us and put it on the jspec engine. Also , jspec is uses a map sensor instead of a maf sensor, so if your using the jspec ecu , you are gonna have to use the harness.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how well does the us-spec ecu work with a jdm motor? if it works at all? also, does anyone have the part numbers for the jdm map sensor? by the way, thanks for the replies everyone

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if u use the us spec ecu , make sure you also used the us spec harness along with the us spec injectors.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i use the us spec ecu and injectors, what about the cams and the turbos.. do i upgrade those to us spec also?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can but it will work fine with the jdm turbos and cams. You only have to replace the intake cam though. . .the exhaust cams are the same. The jdm turbos will run a fair amount of hp. . .you just can't reliably go over 1 bar with them or you'll destroy the ceramic impeller. The jdm turbos also have a much smaller wastegate (24mm if i remember correctly in contrast to the 30mm us spec wastegate) So you'll have to keep an eye on runaway boost. . .that's all detailed in the new zeland site mentioned above. . .

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just get the jspec engine , use the us injector 550cc and use the us ecu along with the us harness. just use the jspec turbo for a while until they blow , then go single. jspec turbo can handle about 14psi , without blowing up to pieces. I might be wrong on that since i never had jspec turbos.

·
In front of you
294 Posts
Interesting topic for me cause i am going to do a jap-spec us-spec conversion myself, my conversion means RHD->LHD and us spec cams and go single right away (of course fuel system as well). I am not planning to use the j-spec ECU, is it possible to run it with AEM EMS ? Or what do i have to do to make it work ? I still have time to figure it all out, since the car will arrive by the end of december if all goes well.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anything, I personally would agree to swapping the Intake cam shaft and all, but I believe throwing away the Jap harness would be a bad idea! Why would you want to put in a AFM, when it's already speed density?

Here's one fact though the AEM ECU will plug-n-play into the Jap harness. So instead of spending the $1,200 (guess) for the US harness just buy the AEM.

Turbo's are fine enough as they are, you only have to watch out for boost creep if you remove the fron catalytic converter, but i have never had a problem, and I run a Jap-spec supra.

Injectors, if your dead set on using the 550's then I would upgrase to the US spec ones, with a S-AFC and some resistors.

If it was me I would run the Jap set up the way it is then buy things like, real cams, Single turbo, Fuel system etc. If you know you will be upgrading the why spend the $$ twice??

Just my $0.02

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what about the j-spec map sensor and the us-spec maf sensor that supradoopa mentioned earlier? .. and if i drop the 2jz/v160 into a tt/6spd shell, will i need to swap out the driveshaft/diff/axles? (i just wanna make sure i have everything so i dont end up assed out) so far i got the engine being compression/leakdown tested in japan and it comes along with the j-spec ecu and harness. anyone recommend any other j-spec parts while im at it?

·
supraman
632 Posts
Stick with the jap spec turbos injectors and cams till your ready to go single..... Trust me you will be more than impressed with the response from these turbos they spool up faster and have a lot more torque than the US spec.. I have been running 1.25 bar 18 psi for the last one year with no issues, just make sure the turbos cool off before turning the engine off. The US spec makes a bit more hp but the torque you get with the JDM will compensate for the loss of the extra bhp up in the higher gears.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
illest2jz said:
what about the j-spec map sensor and the us-spec maf sensor that supradoopa mentioned earlier? .. and if i drop the 2jz/v160 into a tt/6spd shell, will i need to swap out the driveshaft/diff/axles? (i just wanna make sure i have everything so i dont end up assed out) so far i got the engine being compression/leakdown tested in japan and it comes along with the j-spec ecu and harness. anyone recommend any other j-spec parts while im at it?
if you want to use the jspec map sensor , then use the jspec harness along with the ecu, ideally this would be better , but keep in mind your gonna be using the jspec injector also which is 440cc , good for around 400hp.

pros: you dont have a restricted intake with the maf sensor in.
map sensor is better
you dont get irradic idle problems with aftermarket blow
off vavles
cons: use of smaller injectors
horsepower is limited to around 400 , until you upgrade.

if you want to use the us maf sensor , then use the us harness along with the ecu.

pros: higher hp limit 500hp

cons: maf sensor sucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts