Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My gf is looking at picking up a new car pretty soon and she seems to like the new IS350 but she's been crazy about the new 5 series. I am curious about what you guys think of the IS v a base 5 series. Pros and cons of either one if they are new. I am wondering if it's possible at all to negotiate prices of a Lexus and how close can one come to invoice.

Thanks

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
yes you can negociate the prices on a new lexus
depends who you know and where you shop
there are a few out of state dealers that are willing to do invoice on IS350
just have to shop around or know someone who is will to do that...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes you can negociate the prices on a new lexus
depends who you know and where you shop
there are a few out of state dealers that are willing to do invoice on IS350
just have to shop around or know someone who is will to do that...
Anyone in particular that you know who is willing to do invoice on an IS?

Thanks

·
Banned
612 Posts
when I was IS and GS shopping I found that the lexus dealers were usually willing to do anywhere from $1000 to $1800 over invoice.

You may be better served asking these questions at clublexus than here.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
i think BMW's free maintance covers everything except new tires, keep that in mind.
Don't say that say that. BMW free maintenance intervals are not to be adhered to at all! I beg you all, think of the poor transmission!

A little history for those not familiar, the year was 1997 and BMW wanted a way to prop up their reputation. Anyone who financed a new first time BMW through select BMW advised financial institutions got free maintenance. The problem is that BMW began to start doubling the time between service intervals and recommended maintenance, preventative work that kept the cars happy. BMW has historically hardly strayed away from their past in terms of the actual mechanics of the cars, how could they suddenly be telling us the same engine/transmission packages they had been using for years were somehow so different? The answer is that they are not.

Follow the factory maintenance schedule and you see things like M5's with carbon buildup issues (exasperating a factory issue) and regularly hesitant automatic transmissions (interestingly sourced from GM :lol:) and coarse power steering units. Buying used 90's Bimmers these days from people who aren't enthusiasts, or who didn't follow the old schedules is a problem. You will regularly find cars with abused suspensions and dying automatics since it's hard for the general owner to know there is actually a problem.

Most people will agree BMW has gotten a little complacent in this regard to treatment of new v. pre owned buyers. In the old days before FM, BMW broke the cars in before the 1,500 mile mark (scheduled at 1,200).

The differential, transmission and engine oils were flushed and replaced and all filters replaced. When FM came along BMW all but stopped that on anything but their M cars, select dealers also made sure to "take care" of their valued customers with v12 models.

You can run the car with little to no maintenance for 100,000 miles if you wanted, but don't listen to BMW's advice and expect it to run like new if you are a hard driver.

I like BMW, I dislike Lexus. I would buy the Lexus. A stripper 5 is no fun at all.:hay:

·
Registered
702 Posts
i'd take the lexus. the IS and the 5 series aren't really comparable, but to get a 5 series with everything you can get in the IS for about $42k, would cost in the mid 50's for the beamer, and thats for a 525.

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Don't say that say that. BMW free maintenance intervals are not to be adhered to at all! I beg you all, think of the poor transmission!
so true.. hahaha I rang them up about an oil change and they said i only needed one every 15000 miles. I went 4k and when i changed it it was nasty as fuck... i feel sorry for owners that listen to them.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Anyone in particular that you know who is willing to do invoice on an IS?

Thanks
Used to, but Woodfield Lexus is not what it used to be.
In your case I would seriously consider buying in WI or MI or even in IN.
Email a few dealers and come end of the month some are willing to do it at invoice or sub $500 markup

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she just picked up a 250 AWD with a luxury package for $3 over invoice. I guess it pays to be good looking.

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
Well she just picked up a 250 AWD with a luxury package for $3 over invoice. I guess it pays to be good looking.
congrats man!
great car and an awesome price!

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
FYI: A main reason that the service interval was extended was due to the use of synthetic fluids.
BMW synthetic oil used to be a custom blended 10W-30 Valvoline, it was changed to a true full synthetic blend based off of the lesser Castrol Syntec. The service interval was changed before that, same goes for the transmission and a few other fluids that still should have been spec'ed to be changed regularly.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts

I read that as "3k over invoice" i was like shit.. that guy just got put together..

i had to read that shit 3 times.

anyways.. she got a good deal.. anytime you pay invoice minus rebates (if thier are any), it's good. when you pay under invoice... thats golden ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
5 series is a much bigger car. Is she leasing? A 525 and IS250 lease extremely well. This is a Toyota forums and I am a Lexus guy so of course I'd say get the IS350. Sounds like you don't have a family so no need for the larger space, plus the IS will be more reliable.

Sam

·
Registered
702 Posts
i love the guys who bust balls to make sure the salesman, finance guy, and sales manager make no money. Do you guys bitch and moan this much when you buy groceries, furniture, or electronics?

I'm not saying, don't negotiate and don't get a good deal, but if the salesman is making enough of an effort to earn my business that he shows me the invoice i make sure the guy makes some cash.

the mooches in here remind me of women.

is it really worth the hassle and time to save yourself an extra 20 dollars a month?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts