Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday night the supra was a little low on gas so i took it to the gas station and told the guy let me get $10 premium. Then when i was leaving the gas station i noticed pull out from the 1st pump which is regular. so the whole time im drving back to brooklyn from qz in the rain, im just cruising, not tryin to let that 87 octane be known in the engine. My question is that i know detonation plays a nice role in BHG and i would like to know wat precautions i should take, now that i have half a tank of 87 octane in my car, i know i should hit high boost or anything,any advice is great thanks.

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
or if not i guess i could start up the car and let it run for A WHILE cuz we all know how great supras are on gas. also would it help if i go buy one of thoses octance boosters from autozone and put it in?

·
anti-hardtopper#1
407 Posts
i dont think its that big a deal if your not driving hard, just keep your foot out of it.

G

·
In the 88 turbo at least, regular unleaded is the recommended fuel.. If you're stock (I am), the knock sensor's job is to keep your car from detonating. If you're not stock, then of course the recommended fuel type is quite likely not what you should be using.

·
Banned
676 Posts
nightjars said:
In the 88 turbo at least, regular unleaded is the recommended fuel.. If you're stock (I am), the knock sensor's job is to keep your car from detonating. If you're not stock, then of course the recommended fuel type is quite likely not what you should be using.
The owners manual in my '91 Turbo specifies to only use premium of 91 octane or higher. (STOCK)

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
nightjars said:
err as far as i know if its turbo it should be 91+ if not 93+ octane STOCK.

not to mention the knock sensors job IS NOT TO STOP DETONATION!! it simple to do just what it says...SENSE knock....

if you can drain the gas i would cyphon it out or something maybe as to not risk it.....however if youre stock and you keep from boostin and dont drive isnanely hard until its empty....you should be ok...

you could also go and fill up with some premium and mix the octanes for a higher number ;) :D

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok, i was thinking it was unsafe or something to mix octane. Im never buyin gas in queens again.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
87-88 owners manuals recomend premium octane, but say that 87 octane can be used in the short term. 89+ manuals say premium is required. If you recall in '89 the horsepower was bumped slightly, but there was a modest gain in torque -- I'm assuming this was caused by the factory advancing timing.

So the short answer -- if you have an 87-88 you're probably fine as long as you are just cruising around. Your car has knock sensors for a reason (to detect knocks before you can, so the ECU can detune timing), although it isn't wise to rely on them all the time.

If you have an 89+, I would look up toluene on google and mix your own octane booster. The overpriced bottles you'll buy at autozone will raise your octane a few points (ie 87 to 87.3) whereas you can make a few gallons of octane booster on your own for the same price and end up with 95-100octane gas

G

·
Relax, I was just telling him what my owner's manual says, which is minimum rating of 87. It's not a bad idea to go higher, obviously, but he's simply worried about doing damage to his car until it's time to fill up again, with his normal choice of gasoline. If the gasoline is within specs, obviously the car was designed to be able to operate with this type of fuel. I havn't any idea what year his car is, and I wasn't talking about all years of Supras, I was quite clear that I was talking about a stock 1988 Supra.

Most knock sensors work to help the ECU set the timing so that detonation does not occur. If Supras don't use knock sensors for this reason, I appologise for saying that they do.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,399 Posts
Would it be alright to run 87 octane while my engine is still way low on boost(2-3)?

·
VIPER HUNTER
835 Posts
all you need to do is run the 87,dont boost it or go get some toluene from a paint store and some marvel mystery oil and add that to your gas. if you have atleast 5 gallons of gas 1 gallon of toluene and 4 oz of marvel mystery oil will bump up the octane to or past 93

G

·
Well, if it will make you feel better I have been running 87 in my turbo for almost a year now on a new hg. I have not had the first prob. You should be fine on 10 dollars worth. I think I will go to the higher octane after reading these posts though.... Just to be safe.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My owners manual also says nothing lower than 91 for my 91T. You should be alright with 10 bucks of 87 in there... or go fill the rest of the tank up with 94.

·
Registered
973 Posts
My N/A MKIII didn't even like to run on anything less then premium.. I know the turbo isn't going to like anything less then premium either.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Bah, you can run low octane if you don't boost. The only time you need higher octane is under high compression (I.E. boost or high compression motors). I've run 87 octane in my car before on long road trips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts