Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 7mgte swapped mk3
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89 n/a and want to drop a gte in it badly. My first question is how hard is it to get my hands on the engine and everything i'd need to do this? Second question is how long will it take...I know there are a lot of variables there, but answer it as best you can. How reliable is a conversion like this? Thanks...

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
hornet7288 said:
I have a 89 n/a and want to drop a gte in it badly. My first question is how hard is it to get my hands on the engine and everything i'd need to do this? Second question is how long will it take...I know there are a lot of variables there, but answer it as best you can. How reliable is a conversion like this? Thanks...
engine/trannies can usually be found relatively easily - eBay, Jarco, local junkyard, forum F/S section, etc. To get all the parts you need, it's best to get a donor car, but not absolutely necessary. If you haven't seen drjonez's page about the conversion, here , then you should check it out. How long it will take depends on several things: your mechanical knowledge/skill, working space, whether you have the parts on hand, etc. Took me seven months of tracking down parts and only working on weekends. With all the parts on hand, the actual swap could take as little as a few hours, if you know what you're doing.

As for the reliability, I've had mine on the road for just over a year and a half now, and I've put about 28k miles on it (JDM engine that came with car when I bought it). Only problems I've had were related to stuff I didn't do correctly (i.e., headgasket), and normal issues a car this old will have.

hope that helps some ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts