Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
HIGH ON PSI
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i remember there being a big thread on mixing gases to get certain octanes, but my question is how much boost can i safely run mixing 50/50 Sunoco 110 (leaded) & 93 octane gas. also, how much boost can i run with straight Sunoco 110. thanks!

eric

EDIT- this is in regards to running a Greddy T-78 with 880CC injectors

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
i personally never like when people mix gas, so i would say stay in the 25-27psi range to be safe. On pure 110, You can max out the t-78's power.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
Going along with the octane versus boost theme, does anyone know if 94 octane will help a BPU supra @15psi make more power than 93octane? I doubt it makes a difference since the boost level is relatively low but I'm curious if the car will make even a tad bit more hp. TIA.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
s14roller said:
Going along with the octane versus boost theme, does anyone know if 94 octane will help a BPU supra @15psi make more power than 93octane? I doubt it makes a difference since the boost level is relatively low but I'm curious if the car will make even a tad bit more hp. TIA.
It will, the ecu pulls timing like no other, even if ther is a hint of detontaion.

·
Turbo Member
673 Posts
One of the guys here in Atlanta runs mixed gas and has no problem 93/110. I think he is at 26-27 psi all day. No detontaion as far as the AEM is telling him.

·
Registered
350 Posts
jack, i would like to know the same thing. i was about to post a similar thread after looking thru old threads for hours. my question is since the summer is approaching, how much boost can i run on straight sunoco gt100. 20psi? or will i start pulling timing? during the winter, i was boosting at 18psi on sunoco 94 and had no problems but it seems that theres a huge difference between the winter and summer months. i also learned that the stockers efficiency is between 18-20psi and anything after that, you really don't see a difference. i would like to run 20psi this summer in case i need to but i dont want to at the risk of the motor. dont really care about the turbos that much. if gt100 isnt enough, will unleaded 104 or a small amount of sunoco leaded 112 be?

thanks, ryan

btw, if no one believes i searched already, ill post the links ;)

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
how about 5 gal c16 to lets say 5 gal 93=what octane and what safe boost to run? or can i mix 5 gal c16 to 10 gal 93 to run high boost? so far i have just ran 5 galc16w/5gal 93 at 25 psi.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
AZMongoose said:
Would Someone Please Sticky My Octane Vs. Boost Thread From 3 Years Ago! Same Topic Comes Up Weekly. We Have Stickys About Hooded Sweatshirts But Not Octane...
post link and ill do it

·
Registered
350 Posts
that was the first thread i looked at and it provided great information. i guess i was getting more at what's the most the stockers can hold regardless of fuel and then at each separate octane. it seemed to me AZMongoose that you focused more on single cars with upgraded fuel. I am more concerned with stock fuel and twins. as i said before, i know winter and summer months are different and the efficiency range is between 18-20psi. i'm smart enough to realize that i will need at least bare minimum gt100 for 20psi during the summer months and that may not even be enough. so if it isnt, 104 unleaded? 112 leaded?

·
HIGH ON PSI
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ChBrAc16 said:
that was the first thread i looked at and it provided great information. i guess i was getting more at what's the most the stockers can hold regardless of fuel and then at each separate octane. it seemed to me AZMongoose that you focused more on single cars with upgraded fuel. I am more concerned with stock fuel and twins. as i said before, i know winter and summer months are different and the efficiency range is between 18-20psi. i'm smart enough to realize that i will need at least bare minimum gt100 for 20psi during the summer months and that may not even be enough. so if it isnt, 104 unleaded? 112 leaded?
on stock twins 100 octane should be more than enough for any amount of boost you want to throw at it. i used to run 18-21psi on 100 octane and the car would pull hard. AFRs in the 11.1 range, although i wasnt able to measure EGTs to see if timing was pulled or not.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
ChBrAc16 said:
jack, i would like to know the same thing. i was about to post a similar thread after looking thru old threads for hours. my question is since the summer is approaching, how much boost can i run on straight sunoco gt100. 20psi? or will i start pulling timing? during the winter, i was boosting at 18psi on sunoco 94 and had no problems but it seems that theres a huge difference between the winter and summer months. i also learned that the stockers efficiency is between 18-20psi and anything after that, you really don't see a difference. i would like to run 20psi this summer in case i need to but i dont want to at the risk of the motor. dont really care about the turbos that much. if gt100 isnt enough, will unleaded 104 or a small amount of sunoco leaded 112 be?

thanks, ryan

btw, if no one believes i searched already, ill post the links ;)
Ryan, on the stock twins 100oct or 104oct (I forget which one comes in unleaded maybe both) would be fine at the 18-20psi range. I remember reading about it a while back.

I was personally just wondering if it was worth it for me to go pay more at the Sunoco for their 94 oct versus the Mobile's 93. I don't run as much boost as the rest of you guys but I was wondering if 1 Octane would even make a small difference on 15psi. From my understanding 93 oct on 18psi was borderline but that also should mean 93 octane would be more than enough for 15psi and 94 octane wouldnt make a difference. Can anyone confirm or otherwise?

·
HIGH ON PSI
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mack Ash said:
From what I have heard this is pretty much true. Would we gain anything from going up to the 104 octane or is 100 octane enough for 18-22psi on stock twins?
i cant give a definitive answer to this as i am no expert on octane, but im led to believe that 100 octane is more than enough for any amount of boost you want to run on the stockers. however, i did notice that when i tries 110 octane performance was actually worse than 100 octane. the reason i was given was that 110 octane gas actually burned too slow causing worse performance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
NYC, what u heard must be true b/c i remember reading that as well. the stockers cant burn it quick enough, as a result no real power gain. and thank you and Jack (sorry to hear about the car for sale btw) for the clarification about the 100oct and 18-20psi. i just want to make sure what the motor can handle during the summer if i need to up the boost for a race or two

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,186 Posts
when i was bpu +++ all ever used was 100octane....no need for 110 with the stockers...it actually makes it worst!!!

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
ChBrAc16 said:
NYC, what u heard must be true b/c i remember reading that as well. the stockers cant burn it quick enough, as a result no real power gain. and thank you and Jack (sorry to hear about the car for sale btw) for the clarification about the 100oct and 18-20psi. i just want to make sure what the motor can handle during the summer if i need to up the boost for a race or two
I'm sure you'll have quite some fun with 100 octane. It's sad I've never seen anything over 15psi on my car. I'd imagine it'd be crazy fun to throw in 100 oct and boost the car to 20psi.

As for the car, it's just not the right time for her anymore as I'll be moving around quite a bit in the next 2 years which equals tons of miles + need for more room.
:(
I'm sure the next owner will be as happy as I've been with her. If you hear of anyone wanting a BPU TT with 87k miles for $21,900 please shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does anyone here run Chevron race gas? I called the Sunnaco dealer and they also had Chevron race gas (T.T. 105) has anyone used this stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts