Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red 94TT.... That Im thinking of adding the WW Lip, RMM wing, Blitz or Bomex side skirts.

The paint on my car seems to be ok... but it has a lot of swirls and a few scratches....and also when Im inside the shop I notice that it looks like every single panel its a different shade of red...I really hate that... so Im thinking that when I add all those body parts Im going to get whole car painted so that everything is even.

But my question is... that I notice that the red paint on some of the new BMW, Mercedes, even Nissan it looks like very high quality and very reflectible red... Is that b/c of the type of paint, the shade of the red, or the way it was done..but it looks so good..?

How can I get my paint to look like that? should I get the paint code from one of those cars .... or what?

I was beside a new red BMW M3 and I love the way the paint looked.. how can I get my car to look like that...

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the same 'problem' but my car looks fairly good for 94 model.. You can find a GOOD quality detailing shop that can properly use a buffer to bring the paint out.. If you put those aftermarket pieces on then the body shop can color match and fade but they have to be really good to make it close.. It will most likely not be 100% unless you repaint whole car.. I have also heard wetsanding makes paint smooth and wet looking again. Again, a HIGHLY skilled person would be needed to get the desired end result.. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Byron, you sorta answered your question within your post :D :p

So let me remind you of what you probably already understand....the mkiv red is not far from a blood red <---- not exactly a brilliant mixture....kinda dark at least.
Reds are not all the same (I know you know this :) ). I don't remember the code's ingredients, but the supra's red has some black in it for sure....a few drops of black in a red mixture is all it takes to darken it up significantly.

So, you should either ask for the codes of the cars you like (as you mentioned), or just get them to leave out the black when they mix the mkiv red code and see how that looks on a test panel <--- handy little trick.

Sanding and polishing won't brighten the color....only the clearcoat. It'll make the car shine more, but the paint still contains the same ingredients. Unless you repaint, you'll just have a shiny, dark red paint job :D

sean

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't mind the dark red paint of my supra...in fact that M3 that I was talking about it was pretty dark red like ours... I just want it to be very thick, deep looking paint... I imagine they don't use the same paint to paint a Focus than they use to paint a Porsche or a M3.... do they??

I just one my car to look like if it was a 2004 and just came out of show room...

And to do that wet sanding that you guys mention before..Is that something that has to be done periodically like buffing it...or is it more like a 1 time thing kind of long lasting... And how much shine does that bring out of the car...b/c if that can make my car look better I would rather do that then paint the whole car.

Thanks guys for helping me understand all this stuff...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Byron said:

1) I just want it to be very thick, deep looking paint... I imagine they don't use the same paint to paint a Focus than they use to paint a Porsche or a M3.... do they??

2) I just one my car to look like if it was a 2004 and just came out of show room...

3) And to do that wet sanding that you guys mention before..Is that something that has to be done periodically like buffing it...or is it more like a 1 time thing kind of long lasting... And how much shine does that bring out of the car...b/c if that can make my car look better I would rather do that then paint the whole car.

4) Thanks guys for helping me understand all this stuff...
1) No, there's different paints between various manufacturers and also the fact that some reds have clear and others dont (depends on the manufacturer's decision). There are pros and cons for cleared paint and non-cleared....along with the fact that some non-cleared paints SUCK, while others don't ---> like our mkiv non-cleared cars :)
But for a repaint, just get a cleared job done with some nice paint brand.

2) Well, for that you'll need a good quality repaint with an even higher quality sand-and-polish job to go with it :)

3) To get what you want, a knowledgable person would only do that once (if at all) to factory paint. Then, periodic polishing is done as with any other car/paint maintenance schedule.
Sanding the factory paint will cause a flatter texture and if buffed correctly, will bring out a nice shine....but to do this sort of job to factory paint is extremely risky and basically not even worth considering. There are several reasons why it's not worth loosing sleep over.
It's one thing to occasionally sand and polish a little scratch or bad scuff from your factory paint, but to sand down the entire car for better reflectibility adds plenty of risk as far as being able to get ALL of the shine back while avoiding many many possibilities of burning it. Just remember, aftermarket paint jobs yield much more paint than what you get from the original at the assembly line, so burning or sanding through can occur much easier.
On top of everything else (risk, effort etc), certain thicknesses are required for paint to fight off UV damage and retain it's adhesion properties/strength.
To get what you want out of your original paint, simply plan on a professional level buff and polish and just skip the sanding part. If you desire anything more than those results, then start saving for a good repaint.

4) You're welcome :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks man that really helped a lot....

If I do go the route of repaint you said to go cleared and get a nice paint brand... How would I know which paint are better than others.... Which brand would you recomend... I don't want to go to place and maybe get rip-off by someone telling me one thing and actually getting something else...

When I go what should I tell them to do exactly...

And again thanks for all this help, Im learning a lot....

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Byron said:
Thanks man that really helped a lot....

If I do go the route of repaint you said to go cleared and get a nice paint brand... How would I know which paint are better than others.... Which brand would you recomend... I don't want to go to place and maybe get rip-off by someone telling me one thing and actually getting something else...

When I go what should I tell them to do exactly...

And again thanks for all this help, Im learning a lot....
Your hardest job (maybe - depending on your area) will be finding a shop willing to do exactly as good a job as you would want. Try finding a specialty shop of some degree if possible and stay away from dealerships and chains.....in fact, some of the better shops will likely be the ones that don't even advertise, heh. At least that's what I notice around my area. The big boys and local chains do the advertising, but they produce high volumes of weekly work <--- this indicates speedy work and less actual prep quality. As far as I know, there seems to be 2 extremes with shops who DON'T advertise ----> 1) Hole-in-the-wall shops who don't have the money and 2) shops who already do great work and prefer to survive on good service and word of mouth or past success alone....I'd look towards these guys first.

From there you'll simply look for popular brands used and go with that brand's high-end paint line. Brands can be debated against each other based on opinions and personal experience, but basically you want a popular brand as I just mentioned. It's easy to find yourself splitting hairs when comparing 2 or 3 high-end lines of popular brands. Good quality shops generally already have the paints you'll want....just post what you find and ask for opinions on it, then go from there.

You'll look to build an understanding (wiith the owner and painter) of what you want done to the car. Not just a 3 minute run-down and drop of the credit card :) Shops who care will be glad to spend the time with you and showing off their garage....if not, then you might be in a shop that has nothing to brag about. The place doesn't have to be BIG (because the building size itself doesn't promise everything), they should just at least be showing concern for the quality you're shopping for.

sean

·
Grocery Getter
439 Posts
All I can say is listen to blkturbo about shops. When it comes to painting a car you better make sure that the person doing it is more of a perfectionist then you are with your car. I've been through 2 paint jobs already (b/c I was an idiot and put my faith into people that might of lacked some knowledge, but still had a degree or certificate from a acredditted paint association), and I am still not happy. You probably hear it all the time but it is true what they say, "you get what you pay for" and if you want a paint job(jams and everything) but don't want to shell out over 3+k, just save up and wait till you have the money. It's worth waiting then rushing into something and not being satisfied.

Hope some of what i said makes sense
Good luck
Jarad

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It makes a ton of sense.... I will do that... I really only want to get 1 paint job and be it for my car....

Thanks for your input guys it cleared a lot of questions...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Are you gonna try the polish methods first? :)
I would at least do that until you can come up with the cash for paint (unless you have it already), since a repaint is such a big deal in many ways.
Do you have several shops to choose from in your area?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to save for the paint job...and yes there are a lot of shops around here... When I do the paint job Im going to get the Lip, sideskirts, wing and maybe a hood put in also... how much would say is a good price to pay for the paint job going with red and not doing a crazy change of color...just to have an idea..

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Prices can vary way too much to pin down.
To shoot the same color and not have any damage to repair will keep costs average, but then you're adding bodykit parts, so now you're looking at above average charges most likely. I'd take a wild guess at $3-4K as far as not getting overcharged unnecessarily.
2k is unrealistic for a good job, and 5k+ is getting outta hand unless it's a restoration of some degree or ridiculous custom job. If I had to pay 4k or more, I'd supremely make damn sure I was getting what I payed for!! I'd visit the shop a couple times a week and stay on top of the quality issues.

Keep in mind when asking price opinions, that different states charge different labor rates per hour, and then shop owners will gauge the price differently since you're not talking about repairing a typical accident repair where a specific estimate is given by the insurance labor rates.

Whatever you do, don't go to a shop that plans on giving you your car back in 5 days. Speedy turn-around indicates speedy prep.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help man.... you have no idea how much help me clear out some of the questions that I had...

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Byron said:
Thanks for all your help man.... you have no idea how much help me clear out some of the questions that I had...

You're welcome.....shop around and let us all know what you find out (at least before making a solid decision). A repaint is a big deal when you don't know anyone.

sean

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when I get the money and Im ready I will post the details on my findings before I do it... I won't throw away $3,000...
Thanks again sean...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was watching a TV show the other day... and they showed this 58 chevy I think... and when they asked what kind of color it was they said "ppg Ferrari red". What does the ppg mean..? the red of that car look amazing...

·
Unstable
370 Posts
I know what you're saying. Seems like the rear air dams are faded and quite darker than the rest of the car! Same goes for the door handles. I think need a repaint anyway. I have a few small scratches and some asshole decided to hit and run. I got a whopping $150 from the insurance company for that. :rolleyes: Anyone have pics of factory red with white pearl? I am stuck on factory color since there is less work involved, but want something just a tad different. I just want to get the car repainted, add some sideskirts and possibly a wing, then call it a day.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Byron said:
I was watching a TV show the other day... and they showed this 58 chevy I think... and when they asked what kind of color it was they said "ppg Ferrari red". What does the ppg mean..? the red of that car look amazing...

:D
PPG is the paint brand. It stands for Professional Painter's Gaurd.
They just pulled the code for Ferrari's red and bought PPG's mixture of it.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
DawgStyleMKIV said:

Anyone have pics of factory red with white pearl? I am stuck on factory color since there is less work involved,
How do you mean less work involved? If you spray white pearl over the factory red....well, it's not gonna match the jambs ----> still doing a color change.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PPG is the paint brand. It stands for Professional Painter's Gaurd.
ok... is that one of the good brands...? some one told me is one of the best ..but I don't know...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts