Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at rims with tires of the following size: front: 245/40/ZR 18, and the rear tires: 265/35/zr 18. Are these going to be too big to mount on the supra?
For the record, they fit on a 3000gt (but not a vr4, the brake calipers got in the way), I believe this is the same 5 lug pattern though. I'm just worried about clearence, steering locks, and the tires sticking out in the back. Will or will theses not work? Thanks much!
JW

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
those sizes are fine, what is important is the wheel offsets

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think so I have 235/45 R17 on the front of mine and there is still room for more and on the back I have a 275/40 R17 fitted on a 10" rim. As mentioned above so long as the offsets are right you will fit them no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Offsets on a 3000GT are different than that of the Supra, so no they will not fit "correctly". Yes they will fit in that the bolt pattern is the same and the tire and rim sizes themself will fit, but the offset of the wheel will either cause rubbing problems or it just flat out won't look right whether it be from being too far out or too far in. The offets on a 3000GT are just a little too different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, bad deal indeed. What is the offset on 3rd gen supras? Also to make sure we're on the same page, these are from a base 3000gt, not a vr4, apparently the vr4's bigger calipers got in the way, but I guess offset is probably still the same for all 3000's. Is there anyway to make these work? (specefic spacers, or specialty parts?). thanks much
JW

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
MKtree said:
Ahh, bad deal indeed. What is the offset on 3rd gen supras? Also to make sure we're on the same page, these are from a base 3000gt, not a vr4, apparently the vr4's bigger calipers got in the way, but I guess offset is probably still the same for all 3000's. Is there anyway to make these work? (specefic spacers, or specialty parts?). thanks much
JW
That is a question no one can answer. Every wheel and manufacturer is different and every offset will be a little different. The VR4 offset would actually work better because it will be a higher offset to accomodate the bigger calipers. Really the only way to know on those is to test fit them and see how they line up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excuse my ignorance, I know the basic idea, but could you go into a little detail on wheel offsets? Didn't see anything under FAQ. thanks much

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Id say the average offset used with staggered wheels on a mk3 would be be about 35mm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so offset is the space where?? is there anyway to use a spacer of sorts to correct the offset of these wheels to a supras?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
If you search for wheel offset on Google or askjeeves or something like that you can probably find an illustration of how it works.

The best way I can explain it is this:

It's a mesurement taken from the center of the wheel. If you have a 10" wheel, it starts 5" in, if you have a 9" wheel, it starts 4.5" in. Then the offset number is the number of millimeters it is from that centerline to the mounting face of the wheel. So if you have a +42, it is 42mm from the centerline towards the outer portion of the wheel. A negative offset would go the opposite direction of course.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts