Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a 1989 supra with a 7m-gte and he has rod knock to fix that can u just replace the rods and the bearings or do we have to replace the hole engine

·
Registered
439 Posts
You wont be able to know what is needed until you pull it out, or at least pull the pan and mic the crank. If the knock has just come on, and he can't afford(money/time) for a rebuild, he could get lucky and just need to replace the bearings and then drive it until the knock returns or a rebuild can be done.

How loud is the knock, only on start-up or all the time?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wont be able to know what is needed until you pull it out, or at least pull the pan and mic the crank. If the knock has just come on, and he can't afford(money/time) for a rebuild, he could get lucky and just need to replace the bearings and then drive it until the knock returns or a rebuild can be done.

How loud is the knock, only on start-up or all the time?
loud on start up then like less than a min it quiets down

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
couldnt we just take the crank out and get it cut and put the new bearings on that match the cut

·
Addicted to oil
3,292 Posts
You could but a machine shop will tell you what the crank needs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm on the same boat as your friend, your going to have to replace ALL the bearings, I just pulled my engine out right now, right now, it's 7:53AM here in Cali I didn't even sleep yet

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm on the same boat as your friend, your going to have to replace ALL the bearings, I just pulled my engine out right now, right now, it's 7:53AM here in Cali I didn't even sleep yet
dam that sucks how long did it take u to pull out the engine

·
(◕_◕)
3,756 Posts
You do it once, then it will be easier. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts