Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is a quick q, again. I am going to replace my stock factory MKIV wheel with another one. Currently, my steering wheel sits a little cocked to the left while my car's front wheels are pointing forward. I need an alignment, but I wanted to go replace my steering wheel now.

If I install this new wheel, can I line it up perfectly, or do I have to leave it sitting a little cocked to the left so the alignment guy can properly straighten it out? Sorry it prob seems like a stupid q but I didn't want to correct something in the wheel that he needed to correct somewhere in the steering column.

SO, upon installation of the new wheel, should I install it cocked to the left as the previous one was, or is it okay to install perfectly straight?

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
If its a stock wheel , chances are it was never off. If it was never off then placement of that wheel on the teeth that hold it is perfect and the alignment then would be the problem.
That being the case I would install the new wheel in the same exact position. Actually I think I would have it properly aligned first, then do a wheel swap so you know for sure.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Raretoy said:
If its a stock wheel , chances are it was never off. If it was never off then placement of that wheel on the teeth that hold it is perfect and the alignment then would be the problem.
That being the case I would install the new wheel in the same exact position. Actually I think I would have it properly aligned first, then do a wheel swap so you know for sure.
:iwdumbass get it aligned first then replace the wheel. if you put the new wheel straight its not fixing the problem, its just hiding it. your toe and camber and shit like that could still be out of spec.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Yes you can shift the wheel. One or two splines is not going to hurt anything. In fact it will effect absolutly nothing. The possition of the wheels is just for visual stimulation. Take a second and think about it. Mount it upside down if you want. Your car will still drive in the same direction. Will not affect getting aligned at anytime also.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Raretoy said:
........ Actually I think I would have it properly aligned first, then do a wheel swap so you know for sure.
.Agree.
Make sure you get a good alignment and tell the shop that you won't pay for it unless the wheel is straight. It's usually just a lazy tech that leaves the wheel crooked.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
the position of the steering wheel does not affect anything to do with the alignment, as Hands On said. There is no "perfect center position" that the steering wheel should be in on the column. Get the alignment done, then set the steering wheel in the center

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Hands On said:
Yes you can shift the wheel. One or two splines is not going to hurt anything. In fact it will effect absolutly nothing. The possition of the wheels is just for visual stimulation. Take a second and think about it. Mount it upside down if you want. Your car will still drive in the same direction. Will not affect getting aligned at anytime also.

anything worth doing is worth doing twice... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
270 Posts
The alignment guy should have a jig with a digital level to level the steering wheel and hold it in place during vehicle alignment. You have to center the steering wheel before you set the alignment. If not, you will just be chasing the steering wheel off center condition. If the Supra steering column is like any other Toyota steering column I have ever seen, it has 33 teeth to align the steering wheel. So, if you do the math, each tooth you are off-center from means that your steering wheel is off by 10.91 degrees everything else being equal. While this will not affect your alignment, it will effect where your steering wheel sits while driving straight down the road. If you're like me, you don't want your steering wheel sitting crooked while driving straight down the highway. It's your call though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts