Supra Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
look for all the vin tags, they will tell atleast how many panels were replaced. Tags on front crash bar visible from the top, fender tags on inside vertical edge of fender in engine bay, door vin tags, door jamb tags on inside of door opening against rear quarters, hatch vin tag, rear crash bar vin tag visible looking up laying on back past exhaust.

Good luck
Thanks. Ill keep this in mind

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would check on insurance and if that ding on the title will impact rates / etc

seems like a good value to get into a mk4. if you are going to own it forever that title may not matter

a lot of us are insuring with an agreed value (full coverage) type policy BC blue book may not be accurate. would a title ding impact that, I unfortunately don't know

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
look for all the vin tags, they will tell atleast how many panels were replaced. Tags on front crash bar visible from the top, fender tags on inside vertical edge of fender in engine bay, door vin tags, door jamb tags on inside of door opening against rear quarters, hatch vin tag, rear crash bar vin tag visible looking up laying on back past exhaust.

Good luck
I would start with this and go from there... ditto on the mileage, even if its accurate which is questionable, it will not have a significant impact on the NA auto with salvage title. I would say if everything else checks out, its a $16-18k car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
are you going to build it / invest a lot of money in it ?

I would want to see how that plays out, the salvage title value compared to other cars (identical) but clean paperwork

what I am saying is you may be throwing money away at this car bc salvage title at the lower end of the spectrum is not so big of a deal....but nobody wants to spend 40k on a car with that (no matter how nice the turbo conversion motor / driveline )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
are you going to build it / invest a lot of money in it ?

I would want to see how that plays out, the salvage title value compared to other cars (identical) but clean paperwork

what I am saying is you may be throwing money away at this car bc salvage title at the lower end of the spectrum is not so big of a deal....but nobody wants to spend 40k on a car with that (no matter how nice the turbo conversion motor / driveline )
agree, im probably going to just drive it, in the future i may drop a 2jzgte engine in it but ill never pretend that a salvaged title will fetch as much as a clean title. to me is more about getting it for the right price, given Supra prices today are kind of wacked and everyone thinks they have a golden goose. i appreciate all of the input and if i go for that car now i have a good idea of what people value it at

·
Registered
291 Posts
The problem is the title. If you needed to sell it in a pinch, it would be difficult to offload it. If it was going to be a race car then the title doesn't matter.
Prices are prices.

Looks like it had work done in the rear, so maybe a rear end job. Lot of Japanese imports coming over with a lot of bondo work, and that's another reason RHD cars sell for a lot less, skeptics.

If you want to keep this thing for a while, and cover costs upgrading it, you'll want a decent LHD chassis. Drop a built motor in it and a Nissan 6spd, have fun, and know that you can probably sell it for breaking even in the end because a bank will finance the loan for the buyer. Won't happen with a rekt title.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The problem is the title. If you needed to sell it in a pinch, it would be difficult to offload it. If it was going to be a race car then the title doesn't matter.
Prices are prices.

Looks like it had work done in the rear, so maybe a rear end job. Lot of Japanese imports coming over with a lot of bondo work, and that's another reason RHD cars sell for a lot less, skeptics.

If you want to keep this thing for a while, and cover costs upgrading it, you'll want a decent LHD chassis. Drop a built motor in it and a Nissan 6spd, have fun, and know that you can probably sell it for breaking even in the end because a bank will finance the loan for the buyer. Won't happen with a rekt title.
true, this will be a great point to negotiate and they know it, they are only looking for cash buyers and its one of their first questions because banks wont finance it, so their pool of potential buyers is small. it may work on my advantage, we shall see. worst case i look for another car and all is good

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
whats the opinion on a 1993 turbo automatic with 200k + miles on the chasis? whats a good going price?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts