Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just want to know can you damage something when you floor it in no gear to the 6000 rpm limiter and hold it there for like 5 seconds or are you treating it very bad when you do that ??

also am i damaging something when I for example if im spinning the tires to 7000 rpms and rev cuts alot.

Edit* maybe this all came out wrong I meant am I damaging anything when the car is in no gear(neutral) I put the pedal to the floor and it goes to 6000 rpms and backfires is the backfiring hurting it . Is that hurting it more then when I´m for example racing throug 1st and second gear to 7000 rpm

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
Yes you are treating it badly IMO if doing it just to do it. Yes it can hurt it. Maybe you are hurting the driveline as well.

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bonz said:
Yes you are treating it badly IMO if doing it just to do it. Yes it can hurt it. Maybe you are hurting the driveline as well.

i just meant is it hurting it more when it backfires on the rev limiter then when you just hold it right before it backfires alot ???

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IndiShukla said:
the rev limiter is there for a reason, if you are right on the brink of it you have a high chance of damaging your car
but the rev limiter is at 6000 rpms when you floor it in free gear. And the redline is at 7000 rpms

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
The rev limit is perposly in place to protect your car. I would put it in the category of more wear and tare, but is not damaging.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Isn't it possible to float the valves in a no-load/high rpm situation? I could have sworn I've heard that before, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know for sure you can float them if you reach the limits of the valve springs in any condition, just not sure about the above.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dego Red said:
Isn't it possible to float the valves in a no-load/high rpm situation? I could have sworn I've heard that before, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know for sure you can float them if you reach the limits of the valve springs in any condition, just not sure about the above.
You are dead right in my opinion, you should never, never rev any engine that high. I have worked in car shops and that is always a big no-no..
ShinRyu..

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Dego Red said:

yup, valves float more easily with no load

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
I've always been leary of bouncing off the rev limiter. Yes, you can argue and say it's there to protect the engine and prevent damage, but I would have to agree you certainly don't want to be bouncing off of it continuously, load, or no load. I've hit it myself in second gear once on a cold night when the tires let loose, but I backed off. No sense in widning it up that high when you are spinning. I tend to back off of WOT when I know the tires are spinning in 1st and 2nd gear to avoid the rev limiter, once the boost comes on and the tach heads up to 7K in a hurry!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts