Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for my 88 Supra turbo to get upgraded for around 5 weeks now and was wondering since the time to get it back is close at hand what I should expect out of it.

I had a JDM motor dropped in it (it came with a damn BHG so I have to wait 1-2 more weeks to get that fixed :mad: ). I also had a SS 3in. Turbo Elbow, a Blitz Nur spec exhaust, HKS dp, Denso Iridium plugs, MSD plug wires, K&N FIPK, and a HKS Twin power ignition system put on. I also have a Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller laying in my room in the box that I need to put on soon after I get my car back. Finally, I have a complete Unorthodox Underdrive pulley system and a pair of Unorthodox cam gears that need to get put on (minus the crank pulley due to the lightened issues and vibrations).

When I get it back, what should the 1/4 mile look if I am boosting 8-10lbs? With those mods, what should my expected HP and Torque ratings to be around?

Also, due to financial problems with the BHG popping up when they started up my car I had a factory HG put on (I will be getting a metal head gasket after I save up for one in the near future)...what is the highest boost that I can safely run with 94 octane? If I get octane booster or mix race gas to get around 100 octane how much higher could I safely boost?

One last thing is that I appologize for my typing skills, but I have been running on very little sleep due to mid terms at college. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know what the ball park HP and Torque figures should be with those mods?

Does anyone know what is a safe amount of boost to run with 94 or higher octane without risking another BHG with a stock intercooler etc. ?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
8-10psi boost, your looking at a mid-high 14 1/4mile at around 100mph and 260-280 crankhp.

You can run your boost to factory "fuel cut" which should be around 12psi. You don't need to get 94 octane/octane booster for this set-up. You can run on highest octane pump gas available. Min octane requirement of 91, I think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only problem is that your info is only taking into account the hp increase from the boost increase. I have heard for every 1 lb of boost you gain 11 hp. With that I would be gaining roughly 22 to 44 hp. (I know stock, the supra had 6.8 lb of boost but I am using 6 lb as an example)

230+22 - 230+44 = 252 - 274 hp range from just turbo pressure.

I thought the other mods would add more than just 8 to 28 hp.

The mods include a full 3+ in. exhaust, dp, turbo elbow, intake, new ignition, better plugs, spark plug wires, under drive pulley system, pair of cam gears, etc. So you claim that all of these only add 8 to 28 hp when I have heard of stories with 3 in. complete exhausts adding 30+ hp alone to the crank numbers.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
kmckiness said:
The only problem is that your info is only taking into account the hp increase from the boost increase. I have heard for every 1 lb of boost you gain 11 hp. With that I would be gaining roughly 22 to 44 hp. (I know stock, the supra had 6.8 lb of boost but I am using 6 lb as an example)

230+22 - 230+44 = 252 - 274 hp range from just turbo pressure.

I thought the other mods would add more than just 8 to 28 hp.

The mods include a full 3+ in. exhaust, dp, turbo elbow, intake, new ignition, better plugs, spark plug wires, under drive pulley system, pair of cam gears, etc. So you claim that all of these only add 8 to 28 hp when I have heard of stories with 3 in. complete exhausts adding 30+ hp alone to the crank numbers.
No need to re-post your mods when I saw them in your first post.

Your pulleys are going to give better response but minimal gains of power will be achieved.

I gave you a good BASE idea. You have the knowledge to guestimate what I may have underestimated. It is better to underestimate and perform better than to overestimate and feel disappointed due to your performance expectations.

In have K&N drop in, mbc to 11.5psi, 2.5inch aluminized exh, stock elbow, DP cat removed. Stock everythinng else, perofrmance wise. My car supposedly pulled 285RWhp/340ftlbs RWtq on a dyno, according to previous owner. Many, including myself found this to be questionable. I have no dyno graph of these runs. This seems more reasonable to be closer to crank numbers ... BUT ... I am not for sure.

From the 11crankhp/psi guestimates and a better flowing exh then I gave you a decent idea. If you can do better than that is good. So factor in slightly beter numbers if you want ... it isn't going to be what I would consider "a huge difference".

Best regards.

·
Do You Even HKS, Bro?!?
1,493 Posts
You can guess all you want, but like everything else, you won't know until you dyno it and run it at the track. I think I'm with AWIDESUPIE, I would "guess" your Crank HP to be around 275+ some.

There is no toothfairy.... HP doesn't always "ADD" up to claims.

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uhh, the 30+ RWHP gains from a full 3" are because the turbo is now "uncorked" and it gains a few more PSI - 280 crank is about where you'll be on a problem-free engine.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
amorak said:
Uhh, the 30+ RWHP gains from a full 3" are because the turbo is now "uncorked" and it gains a few more PSI - 280 crank is about where you'll be on a problem-free engine.
Yes. I forgot to make it clear because this info seems to be common knowledge. When people mention gains with just exhaust, it is usually because the exhaust itself is raising boost. If you are controlling boost with a boost controller the exhaust is really just going to widen your power band and give you full potential for the boost you are running. You will make approximately the same power but the exhaust will allow for faster spool and less backpressure at higher revs, therefore expanding your power band.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
amorak said:
Don't for get to ad an Amsoil filter :rolleyes:

Gotta love how poorly they flow! Amsoil should stick to lawn-mower filters
*forget to add ;)

Thanks for the rolleyes.

Was this due to some of my comments on filters?

What proof do you have of poor flow?

Fine, don't like Amsoil? ... GET ITG.

I said that the Amsoil filter SEEMS comparable to ITG. I never said that it was.

ITG filters are the best, so far, PERIOD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I meant to say ITG - They are crap - crap crap crap.

Until you post some studies that show otherwise, I will stick with people who don't make crappy filters.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
amorak said:
Sorry, I meant to say ITG - They are crap - crap crap crap.

Until you post some studies that show otherwise, I will stick with people who don't make crappy filters.
:lol: ... you have GOT to be kidding me.

Why don't you post some studies that show that they flow like "crap"?

I am confident to say that they flow and filter better than any.

Prove me wrong. <-- IF you can, that's great ... but I don't think that you can.

I am trying to stop "pointing it out" but everybody seems to think that K&N and Apexi and other aftermarket (EX: HKS TRF ETC) are the best filters available. I REALLY don't think they are. Talk with mcdmotorsports (OR mdcmotorsports) about ITG. Ask ITG for some flow/filtrartion tests etc. Maybe somebody would like to purchase a bunch of filters and do some flow/filtration tests. I would be confident to say that ITG will out flow and out filter any filter. The only reason that I say that Amsoil would be comparable to ITG is because an Amsoil dealer mentioned similar characteristics to me. I have no documentation to provide about any of this, at the moment. BUT ... if I can atleast help people to realize/ponder that ITG is better, maybe they will research it and find it out for themselves. <---Better than nothing. Best regards.
1) ITG filters are far from cheap in quality or price.

2) It is mine and others beliefs that ITG will outflow and outfilter any filter.

3) They don't make lawnmower filters ... TMK.
http://www.itgairfilters.com/
http://www.itgairfilters.com/productrange.asp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot to mention that I will be running a 3 inch test pipe and no cats on the exhaust. Does that just do the same thing by removing the restrictions on the turbo and raising the power band or does it really add to the hp numbers?

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
kmckiness said:
I forgot to mention that I will be running a 3 inch test pipe and no cats on the exhaust. Does that just do the same thing by removing the restrictions on the turbo and raising the power band or does it really add to the hp numbers?
It probably will not add to power numbers but a slight increase is possible because heat should be decreased to due to less restriction.

It does just raise the powerband, it widens it (lowers and raises). You get power earlier (faster spool) and hold it longer to redline (due to less restriction/backpressure with the large amount of pressure coming in at higher revs ... it just "flows" better).

Stock "Fuel Cut" is going to keep you from getting more power but also is going to decrease the risks of you blowing your motor.

You can raise the factory fuel cut with the factory AFM, but you have to be careful doing so. It is a "touchy" mod.

EDIT:Here is another thread of a person asking similar questions to yours. It includes infor on cheap/easy mods for 300+crank HP (including a link to raise stock fuel cut with the stock AFM).

Helpful info for easy power.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
kmckiness said:
Cool, thanks a ton for that link and all of the help that you and others have posted. :)
My pleasure. That's what we are all here to do, help eachother out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AWIDESUPIE,I've searched the web and am impressed with the info on the ITG filters, but for the life of me I can't find a store that sells them for supras in the US. I've tried comtacting them directly but no answer yet.Do you know of any place online?Also do you use them? If so which one?The only one I saw looks like it's a direct fit for the stock one.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
ranmao91T said:
AWIDESUPIE,I've searched the web and am impressed with the info on the ITG filters, but for the life of me I can't find a store that sells them for supras in the US. I've tried comtacting them directly but no answer yet.Do you know of any place online?Also do you use them? If so which one?The only one I saw looks like it's a direct fit for the stock one.
Please don't hijack threads. Start new topics/threads when you have a question.

EDIT: I just notice that Amorak, a moderator, was the one who initially started the hijack. I forgot about that. Thanks Amorak :) ... NOT!

BUT ... I will try to give you a little help.

Coast Fabrication sells ITG air filters and suppoosedly so does a member by the name of mdcmotorsports but I didn't see anything on his site yet. You can PM mdcmotorsports if you wish.

Also, you may want to try to contact a fellow supra enthusiast/tuner for a write-up on his installation of an ITG filter on his 500hp TO4E beast.

His site: http://www.sounddomain.com/id/maxout_one

His engine with ITG filter:

From MAXOUT/owner of supra in the above in pic: "The filter is a ITG filter used by Honda during their formel1 Racing (when turbos was allowed) "
His fabrication may be different tan what you need though.
Worst case scenario, get a drop in for the stock box and modfiy the stock box to be open to atmosphere more.

Best regards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts