Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

I finished doing the HG on my 92 Turbo and took it to get e-tested. All the numbers where excellent except one, the NO count...

My question is, there are two vacume switches under the intake. I broke the one closest to the front of the car when I was taking the head off... What does this one do? I just made it so that the connection was always open because I thought it was for EGR, which, i beleive, is opened when the car warms up and therefore should be fine for the test but is it for the charcoal cannister instead?

My Hayes manual sucks for this stuff..

Is this correct? It did not fail by much, only about 15%....

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks...

But is it's normal state open or closed? Hi NO can also be due to a lean fuel condition, could this be because of this?

Thanks....

Adrian

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure if its open or closed , but you can remove it and just loop the vacuum hose onto both sides of the steel vacuum pipe , its only purpose is to lift the fuel pressure when starting a hot engine .its one of those not really needed items , I removed mine and have had no probs

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supramickey said:
Not sure if its open or closed , but you can remove it and just loop the vacuum hose onto both sides of the steel vacuum pipe , its only purpose is to lift the fuel pressure when starting a hot engine .its one of those not really needed items , I removed mine and have had no probs
OK, cool, thanks!!!:beer:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to steal the thread but what about the other VSV, the one for the EGR, is it possible to remove that one aswell and just bypass it?..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nikorasu said:
Sorry to steal the thread but what about the other VSV, the one for the EGR, is it possible to remove that one aswell and just bypass it?..
Are talking about removing the EGR completely, or having it always on? If you had it always on, I would assume it would be ok when the car is warmed up, but not sure what effects it would have when the car was cold.....

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Usually, you can remove the VSV for the EGR without any problems, as long as you have blocked off the EGR ports. There are good points and bad points to running with no EGR, but that is another subject.

However, there have been some cases where removing the VSV entirely would throw up an error code, fixed by plugging the VSV back into the wiring harness without anything else connected to it.

As for removing the fuel pressure up VSV and looping the vacuum lines... I don't know this for a fact, but I seem to recall there was a reason why this was a bad idea. If you are considering this, I'd seriously suggest you do some research on it first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts