Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, a while back i had 2 of my Volk GT-7's repaired and when they were done with the repair they polished it insead if anodizing it. and now its starting to dull and its a PITA to keep it shining so i would like to reanodize them. first of all, are they anodized (the outer rim) from Rays? i was told that they were from the guys at Wheel Techniques. and second, i found this place in sac. http://metalfinishinggroup.com/index.html
anyone know them? would like to have them done local because it would be a hassle to ship. does anyone have experience with anyother company? i wouldn't mind driving to the bay or SJ... any where in nor cal really.
thanks.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
If they are spun aluminum outers, they can be anodized (clear anodize with a nickel acetate seal) If they are cast they can be anodized but will look like shit. Cast aluminum is too porous and is very inconsistant and you will have huge graduations in finish across the lip.

Mark

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok. well i call them and find out. would Mackin Ind. know or would i have to get in contact with the Japanese company?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, so i called them and the guy told me that they go through some very advanced polishing process. is this true? honestly this guy really didn't sound like he knew what he was talking and i've also read somewhere that they are anodized. the 2 wheels i need to get done are on the same side so its not like you can compare them to the other 2 at the same time and notice that there is a difference so what can i do? i just want it to look new again and be durable like they origanally are. the other 2 i have still look like they were just made.
thanks.

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
Anodized like this?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, its no special color, its more like chrome. the reason i don't really want to chrome it is because i don't think it will be as durable and require less maintinace as anodixing, like i said before, my other 2 wheels still look brand new even after over 2 years of use.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
chrome is far more durable than polishing or even anodizing..... as long as you don't have salt on your roads in winter.... ;) like some of us have to deal with.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe they ARE anodized clear lips, a friend had a few GT-u's repaired and that is what the guy told him. There is a great wheel shop in tampa, fl. Glens Wheel refinishing - 813-882-0224 they made his wheels look new and nice again, maybe they will have info for you.

I would also call mackin, and ask what goes into the wheel finishing process.

take care
Mark

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i called them and the guy said that they go through some special polishing process and that i'd have to send my wheels back to Rays Japan, i don't think he knows what he's talking about. i'll give that place in FL a call and see what they say. did you friends wheels come out looking just like new volks, meaning did they have the same finish or were they brighter, duller... the reason i ask is because i have 2 that are not damaged and are in perfect condition so i would like all of them to look alike.
thanks you all for the help.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Im not sure if they look the same or not. I assume so, those guys deal with the wheels a LOT. Anyhow, i will have him take a look at this thread, maybe he would be so kind as to post some pics for you. It looked good to me, but i dont want to tell you something that isnt true, ive only seen them a handful of times.

take care
Mark

·
Registered
222 Posts
well they are definitely anodized from rays to begin with, but since you got yours polished off already, I would either get the rims repolished (least expensive) or chrome them.

IMO, I would definitely chrome them because chrome is more durable and looks alot brighter and lustrous then polishing. Since you are in the area, definitely hit up Wheels Techniques in Santa Clara. They are probably the best in the bay area and they do all kinds of polishing and chroming. They are probably the only guys around here that I would trust with Volks. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats who i went to, to get them fixed. i know polishing is cheaper but its more work to take care of them and over time they start looking like shit (like now). and chome will be brighter so that is the reason i don't really want them chromed, i would rather they all look alike.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Im not sure if they look the same or not. I assume so, those guys deal with the wheels a LOT. Anyhow, i will have him take a look at this thread, maybe he would be so kind as to post some pics for you. It looked good to me, but i dont want to tell you something that isnt true, ive only seen them a handful of times.

take care
Mark
EDIT: Im adding the pics since mark brought it up ;)
this is what the damaged wheel started as

can you tell which one is original and which one is refinished? dont let the lighting fool you... one wheel is closer and at a different angle than the other. forgive me for the quality, i took these with my phone.

thanks for the heads up mark.

yeah, i have a smoke-damaged volk GTU in a partial set that i bought from another forum member. i washed the wheel and tried wet sanding the stained part of the wheel but it was stained down to the metal. so, i took it to Glenn's Wheel refinishing here in Tampa. i know a few of the local supra guys go to him to get their wheels polished. one in particular is a full set of HRE 547's IIRC, on an annual basis. Glenn's shop was even featured on an episode of Spike Tv's "Trucks!".

they wanted $175 to discmount, disassemble, strip, refinish, reassemble and remount the tire. they would have done it for $75 if i dismounted the tire and disassembled the wheel but id rather leave the assembly up to them. one of my friends in town had a wheel fall apart because the guy he bought his wheels from overtightened the bolts holding the center to the barrel.

to re-anodize the barrel of my wheel, they were going to charge another $75 but my barrel was in good shape. i brought them the bare wheel, let them R&R it, refinish for $125 out the door. long story short, the wheel is in Mint condition. the shade of silver they used on my wheel was spot on w/ the other wheels in the set. the finish is glossy and smooth and i cant find any imperfections. i could post pics, but youd just think youre looking at a new GTU w/ a few dings in the lip if you didnt know any better.

btw, id just have them re-anodized again. its not as bright as chrome, but its just as easy to care for. a mild soap and water will clean it with no polishing necessary.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
thank you very much, that was really helpful. i think i remember seeing that for sale ad with that damaged wheel, unless you posted pics after you bought them.
the reason i want them anodized is exactly what you mentioned, not as bright as chrome and really easy to clean. i really didn't want to send my wheels off that far because of shipping and turnaround time but it looks like it would really be worth it. was there any special anodizing process or color they had to use? i'd like to find a place locally that can do it but i'll deff. give Glenns a call tomorrow, looks like they do great work. thanks.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
no, this is the first time ive posted pics of these wheels since i bought them. i still need to get ahold of a 4th wheel since it wasnt included when i bought them. its like you mentioned, i like the anodizing cuz its easy to care for. its hard to mess up unless you use a really harsh polishing compound meant for raw aluminum or an acidic cleaner and let it sit too long. i saw a set of GT7's that someone polished the anodizing right off. the area around the raw aluminum was white and hazy, but the center of the area was regular polished finish and the rest of the rim was still stock.

as far as i know, the volks just use a clear anodizing with no tint. if you want, you can get a little frisky and have them tint it black for a black-chrome finish. thatd be hot depending on the style of the wheel ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
yeah, its called clear anodizing. All the japanese wheel companies use it, ssr, work, rays.

I really thinks its the way to go, and i dont know why more companies dont do it. It gives the same results as polishing, yet very uniform and easy to take care of. dont do chrome.

·
Registered
915 Posts
When I had my volks repaired they were the same way.. I kept trying to polish the ones that i didn't have repaired, so that they would match the repaired ones. I had to take them apart and use aircraft remover to strip the clear off (may have been clear anodizing) then re-polish them. Talk with a polishing shop or even Tony that does the polishing on here to see what options are available..

·
Registered
360 Posts
most japanese companies used to use a thick clearcoat. It would eventually flake and discolor. Then everyone switched to clear anodizing.

Im guessing lownismo17 had the clear coat, i dont think you can remove anodizing without actually sanding the material.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts