Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was at tea time getting some drinks and was letting the car cool down for about 30 minutes. when i go back at start the car it wouldnt start. the cd player and all the lights still worked fine so i didnt think there was a problem with the batterie. the only thing i heard was a clicking sound comming from the glove box area. after trying to start it for about 10 minutes it finally starts. do you guys have any clue why the car wouldnt start?

·
1993 RX-7
278 Posts
it may be your starter contacts if it happened when heat soaked. that's a fairly common problem. if that happens again try banging on the starter with a hammer, don't worry you wont hurt it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah my dad tells me to do that but its kinda hard to get in there when the motor is hot and your stuck in a parking lot....anyone care to explain the clicking behind the glovebox? i've had starter problems before and the clicking sound would come from the actual starter itself but this time it came from the gloveboxs area. not to sound like an ass but i just wanna go though all the troubleshooting possibilities incase this happens again.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
The clicking sound you are hearing is the starter relay which is located behind the passenger kick panel below and to the right of the glovebox. Either you have a problem with your theft deterrent system, failing relay or a loose connection at the relay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
staticpat said:
it may be your starter contacts if it happened when heat soaked. that's a fairly common problem. if that happens again try banging on the starter with a hammer, don't worry you wont hurt it.
Sounds like them.
The fast way: bang on them.
The clean way: Replace them. But it's a bit complicated to get the starter out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chriso said:
The clicking sound you are hearing is the starter relay which is located behind the passenger kick panel below and to the right of the glovebox. Either you have a problem with your theft deterrent system, failing relay or a loose connection at the relay.
is the starter rely the box that says 7mgte on it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hot engine bay start up problem...

That old chestnut. :)

Check ALL the grounds, (back of cylinder head to wirewall, battery to chassis) and especially the transmission bellhousing to chassis ground wire. That is the primary ground for the starter motor.

The starter does tend to have worn copper contacts, but a good battery, and good grounding can still make it start unless the contacts are really bad. Try the above first then if that doesnt work, you can blame the starter motor.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
If it's just coming from the glove box and not the starter then disregard what most of these posts are saying and look into what chrisO said. It sounds to me like the relay is failing or there is a bad power supply to it causing it to flutter and not make a good connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts