Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gone single turbo and am running a stock ecu have fuel and all the electronic goodies..
some one told me that the stock oil pump can not push enough oil through it so you have to drill a bigger whole then is already there can some one confirm this and please let me know how much bigger a whole....If you dont understand my post please email me and I will try to explain better thanks

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
A thread I saved from the MKIV list:

Rings aren't the first thing to go. If you exceed safe mean piston speed, expect the buckets to come right off the wrist pins. Fortunately, our engines are still in the safe region at 8000 rpm, and only get a little scary above 8500. While it is true that valve springs are a good thing to replace, valve float isn't an issue below 8500 rpm. The biggest issues are blowing out the oil pump front seal because the oil relief valve return path is too small, and rod bearing service life. Crank bearings are never an issue unless the crank girdle flexes, and that really isn't nearly the same concern as it is for those poor bastards with V engines. At least our crank is being pushed in a single direction.

You have to disassemble the oil pump and drill out the passage. It's probably the only thing on the whole engine that's marginal from the factory. Some people have had this problem with the stock red line.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
This has been an issue with only a very small percentage of cars that are reving to 7800 or so. There are tons of them out there reving to 7800 or more that haven't had the seal blow. Sound Performance has noted that the few cars they've seen it happen on all had a good bit of wear on the oil pump, IMO indicating that the car had a lot of miles on it, or the oil hadn't been changed often enough.

BTW, this issue has nothing to the fact that the cars are on single turbos -- it's realted to engine RPM.

Steve
XCELR8 said:
A thread I saved from the MKIV list:

Rings aren't the first thing to go. If you exceed safe mean piston speed, expect the buckets to come right off the wrist pins. Fortunately, our engines are still in the safe region at 8000 rpm, and only get a little scary above 8500. While it is true that valve springs are a good thing to replace, valve float isn't an issue below 8500 rpm. The biggest issues are blowing out the oil pump front seal because the oil relief valve return path is too small, and rod bearing service life. Crank bearings are never an issue unless the crank girdle flexes, and that really isn't nearly the same concern as it is for those poor bastards with V engines. At least our crank is being pushed in a single direction.

You have to disassemble the oil pump and drill out the passage. It's probably the only thing on the whole engine that's marginal from the factory. Some people have had this problem with the stock red line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts