Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a fresh rebuild in my 95tt ... test drove it and it ran great but... on geceleration and the first part of the re acceleration it would smoke horribly.. did a leak down no problem.... replaced the valve stem seals... still smokes... i did however pull a dumb ass though .. when i bought a donor engine from japan i used their turbos as they were in better shape but did seem tight to turn... do you fellas think this sounds like a screwed up turbo thanks:( :(

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
sounds like the turbos but im not 100% sure
do they have shaft play at all?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i dont have them off but when we installed them they didnt freely spin felt a bit snug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
does anyone have any useable insight? i have a t61 kit en route so im hoping that is the problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry man, I really can't help you there. When I bought my Supra my angle was, do it right and hope the motor never has to be rebuilt, I've already went through that nightmare with my Cobra. So far so good.

If the compressions still good you SHOULD be ok but maybe it's not the compression ring? oil ring might be stuck/melted into piston. I've had this happen on motorcycles. I'd try calling one of the big boys like Titan and see what they think.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Sounds like turbos may be bad - when my turbo (single mind you) died - it did the same thing.

When I lifted throttle a small bit of oil which was leaking from the center section of the turbo - would go into my hot DP and smoke.

·
GOT BOOST?
551 Posts
Its your turbos.... One of the seals is bad. It's suking oil through there under vaccum like condions.Is the smoke white or blue.... ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is the smoke blue? if it is...then its your turbos...get the SP budget kit if youre going to replace your turbos

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyones input...my car is currently undergoing a " heart " transplant i.e. t-61 single. The guys @ Mahdavi Motorsport in Atlanta determined it was in fact a bad turbo....I consider it a good thing as it could have been put off for a long time without this prodding, so I am looking forward to driving the old girl very shortly... I will post my actual dyno numbers as soon as I get them.. I appreciate you members help.. RYAN

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the wheels on the turbos felt "snug" when your tried to turn them, that's probably your problem right there. Bad turbos.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah...probably not the most intelligent move....But in the grand scheme of things its for the better.....:)

·
MKIV owner since 1996
2,869 Posts
I would put $ on it that your turbos are shot, I've seen that syptom time and time again at my shop and its always the turbos.

Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts