Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods - Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move appropriately if need be.

Saw this member was looking for a set of headlights and so I contacted him. We communicated via email and came to an agreed price. He sent me the payment over the weekend via Paypal. I noticed that the shipping address is not verified by Paypal and emailed him about it.

He replied that he's using his girlfriend's account and that the address matches her debit/credit card number, so he's not sure why it's not verified. The one problem I have it, the name on the account does not seem to be a girl's name, at least not what I am use to.

He is a SF member, has over 600 posts and has been a member since 2003.

I should be OK shipping this out without the worries of a charge back, right?

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,557 Posts
Hey, just posting to add my thoughts on things... this isn't a SF thing, its a Paypal thing. If you dont play by their rules, you have no recourse here at all.
Even when you are taking every precaution and paying by Paypal, they still don't protect you nearly as much as they'd lead you to believe.
I personally wouldn't ship anything worth much to an unverified or strange looking Paypal acct.
Whenever I use Paypal I tell them its got to be a verified address and I always pay by credit card. Paypal rarely protects you much at all, but when paying by credit card you are at least able to contact your CC company and they will probably be more helpful.
Good luck...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. That's what I am thinking also.

I've emailed the buyer several times, but it appears he don't check his email as often as some of us. I emailed him 4 times over the weekend and only got one reply back.

·
JZA80
3,114 Posts
Ship the headlights but be sure to get a tracking #. That way if this guy ends up being a scammer and tries to file for a dispute, you can send to paypal that you shipped out the headlights with a valid tracking number and then they will favor you and remove the dispute.

Also, does the member have a good iTrader feedback rating?

Also, Why not just post his username seeing if people can vouch for him?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't put up any names so I wouldn't offend him if he's legal. He has '0' trader rating.

This is what Paypal has to say -

Protection for items not received

When you ship to the address on this page and provide proof that the item was delivered and signed for, you're protected against claims for items not received. For complete requirements, see terms.
No protection for unauthorized payments

Because XXXXXXXXXX's address is not confirmed, we don't provide protection if this payment turns is unauthorized by the card holder.

Before shipping, we recommend that you contact XXXXXXXXXX to make sure this payment was authorized. Most of the time, shipping to an unconfirmed address is fine. But, we always encourage you to help protect yourself.

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,557 Posts
Don't be misled. What does Paypal define as "protected"?

If you open a dispute, after Paypal looks at it, if they side with you they will attempt to retrieve your money. All this means is that if the 'scammer' is dumb enough to leave money sitting in his paypal account, they can retrieve it. They will not make any other effort or do anything else to get your money back. They will say that they are attempting to recover it but wont take any action further than any money that the 'scammer' has in or puts into his account.

Paypal isnt foolproof! I use it regularly, however its important to be extremely careful still, and use a credit card for your Paypal payment.

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,884 Posts
Also make sure you do signature required on the package. I think you can even do ID Check required for a few extra $$.

·
Registered
248 Posts
NEVER SEND TO AN UNVERIFIED ADDRESS.

Take the time to actually read through PayPal User Agreement, particularly Section 11, then refund the money and walk away. As already suggested and as detailed in the User Agreement, for your other future transactions require signature.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your comment and thoughts. I emailed the seller last night and informed him that I am not comfortable sending the package out to an unverified address. He still has not replied, we will see where it goes from here.

Again, thanks for taking the time to give me some advise.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
The address has to be confirmed not verified.

you can be verified and not have confirmed address.

The only way you can confirm your address if you attach a bank account or apply for one of their credit cards.

also if you are receiving a payment of over $250 for an item then you are required to get a signature confirmation to be protected. Anything under $250 all you need is a delivery confirmation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you don't want to use paypal, refund the money and have him send you a USPS money order. Ship the item out and have the receiver sign for it.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
How do you protect against fradulent buyers who have stolen someone's acct? Ship only to a verfied address?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts