Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Chuck Norris owns a Supra
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the deal...a couple of guys in a car group im in opened up a shop, i havent met them yet because they have been busy and hadnt made it out to the meets and i just joined this month...well i talk to this guy via e-mail about a 2jz-gte engine swap hes gonna do in a gs300, and somehow or another we got on doing a swap on my car...he said the engine will only cost 2000 and shipping for a japan engine with 23k miles on it...and since hes still building a client base his price for labor is low as well...so im wondering if i just lucked out or is something fishy and i sould just stick with my single turbo plans??

·
SUPRA'S SITH LORD
319 Posts
umm..2k for a 2jz gte from japan? thats really cheap, is it the whole engine or just the block?
i'd really see this guys work before hand. i mean i don't want to knock the guy but seeing is beleiving you know what i mean. but anything can happen, i saw a guy get a front clip of a supra for only 3k so anything is possiable.

but a normal na-tt swap should cost around 20k, well the last time i checked.

·
SUPRA'S SITH LORD
319 Posts
lol...mt

meant to put 12k, my 10key is on crack tho

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
$12,000 for a na-tt engine swap? I still think you're on crack. Try less than $5,000 for parts + labor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
wow now i think that you are on crack......... $5000 for labor and parts? Are u serious............. maybe if you did everything on your own you might be able to do that prolly not though, but it certainly isn't $5000 i think it is somewhere near $10000 - $12000

·
Addicted to Boost
315 Posts
2k sounds like a good deal, i see the GTE go for something around 3500. add 2k for labor. id say thats teh going price.

or at least thos are the numbers ive seen aroudn here

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
IndiShukla said:
wow now i think that you are on crack......... $5000 for labor and parts? Are u serious............. maybe if you did everything on your own you might be able to do that prolly not though, but it certainly isn't $5000 i think it is somewhere near $10000 - $12000
No, you are on CRACK or just enjoy being ripped off for a 2jz-gte engine swap :gaysex: Many shops will do it for under $5,000 for parts + labor. JDM 2jz-gte engines are cheaper, so you save a lot of money by going with jdm 2jz-gte's.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Indeed you can get just a JDM 2jzgte motor for around 2000, but keep in mind there are many other parts that will be needed to swap it into your car...

What kind of car are you swapping it into? If you don't need a tranny you'll need a tranny, clutch, if you are going stick, auto if youre going auto, you may need a clutch pedal assembly, youre going to need a wiring harness, driveshaft, intercooler, you're going to need to fab exhaust, Intercooler piping...Youre going to need fuel system upgrades, Engine computer etc...Plus a ton of labor with swapping, fitting and fabricating...

Realistically, if you can't do the work yourself, you are looking at 5-10k easy...don't be fooled by the cheap price of just the motor, as anyone can attest to on this boards, the Engine will be the CHEAPEST part of your build often!

·
Registered
187 Posts
its possible to just swap the head and having the labor and parts go around 5k give or take a lil...and from i gather people have been telling me that u could keep the NA tranny if u got stick so iono 5k sounds reasonable

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
complete aristo engines with auto tranny usually run about 2,400-3,000 with under 40k miles. subtract the transmission and thats about right

·
SUPRA'S SITH LORD
319 Posts
well i guess if you never done it and heard about it you would say 5k but for guys like ..i don't know ....lets say....'powerhouse' they say this-

http://www.powerhouseracing.com/files/catalog.php?make=Toyota&model=Supra NA&catagory=Turbo Upgrades

they do use a US spec 2jz-gte not a jdm like we are talking about but they have done these swaps before. not saying chris or jose at your nearest shop can not do it, i'm just saying this company who works on supras on a daily bases say's this and charges this price for one.

Powerhouse Racing was one of the first companies in the USA to offer the NA to TT Supra engine conversion for the 1993-95 Supra MKIV Non Turbo. We've perfected this process over the years, making a seamless integration between NA and TT. All electronics are fully integrated so when complete, the swap feels and drives like a factory TT Supra. PHR uses only USA-spec 2JZGTE engines for this swap, offering OEM-like quality and reliability. The NA to GTE conversion includes complete 2JZGTE engine, wiring harness, ECU, wiring integration, accessories, TT Supra fuel system components, intercooler, and all engine electronics. The swap includes basic performance upgrades (BPU) to offer approximately 380-400 WHP when complete.
Price: Starting at $11,500 Installed

·
EFI Certified Tuner
1,877 Posts
PowerHouseRacing does excellent quality work, but not at a bargain price. They are quite expensive. MANY people swap jdm 2jz-gte's into their na cars and have it running fine with no hiccups. You just need to wire it properly and bam you have a perfectly working 2jz-gte running car (on stock 2jz-gte ecu) that costs much less than a usdm 2jz-gte. http://www.tolbertautomotive.com/ does a very good job on these swaps and is knowledgeable about swaping in jdm 2jz's and getting them to run perfectly :bigthumb: . Also, he does it for a good price. One member here had everything done by Tolbert for less than $4,000. Beat that :) .

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
yea check out portland performance..they do 2JZGTE swaps for pretty reasonable. theres another place called ground zero that will do swaps for 1200, +the cost of the motor. 5K is totally reasonable for a GTE swap.

·
SUPRA'S SITH LORD
319 Posts
dejacky said:
PowerHouseRacing does excellent quality work, but not at a bargain price. They are quite expensive. MANY people swap jdm 2jz-gte's into their na cars and have it running fine with no hiccups. You just need to wire it properly and bam you have a perfectly working 2jz-gte running car (on stock 2jz-gte ecu) that costs much less than a usdm 2jz-gte. http://www.tolbertautomotive.com/ does a very good job on these swaps and is knowledgeable about swaping in jdm 2jz's and getting them to run perfectly :bigthumb: . Also, he does it for a good price. One member here had everything done by Tolbert for less than $4,000. Beat that :) .
dang that is a great price. :bigthumb:

·
Banned
467 Posts
To completed everything swap from Auto NA to TT Auto, it is about $7k max.
TT US ecu & US harness $1000
TT brake F&R completed with rotor and pad $700
TT rear end, driveshaft $1000
(CV axles haftshaft if your car is 97-98) $500 brnad new from Curt.
TT engine Aristo $2000.
ignitor, resistor pack, SMIC, water pump housing, upper oil pan & gasket, alternator, 550cc fuel injector, US twins, MAF, TT radiator (recommended), TT tach,
greddy boost cut, turbo timer, HKS BOV, DP. $1500..
If you can find used parts, it is much be cheaper.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mmmm, lots of small parts will nickel and dime you to death, so whatever you think you're spending I'd budget an additonal amount as well.
supra_onna95, which shop in norcal did you ask? Did you talk to Motorsport Dynamics?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts