Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was checking out the SoCalcustoms.com website a while ago and noticed this 300ZX with gullwing type doors, I dont exactly know what they are called.. I know these arent gullwing, because they open forward, but Ive seen it on Nopi cars and stuff too.. just curious what all is involved, any idea what it would cost... and can you point me to a website for a customizing shop.. body shop... whatever that would be able to do this? I dont really plan on doing this to my supra, but I am curious what it costs... please hold off on the comments, if you think its ugly or whatever I meerely want an idea of what I would be looking at cost wise, and I need some links to places who could do it or give me a quote, my friend wants to do it on his import.. ill just leave it at that, but if its not too damn much I would like to at least 'look into it' I like those kinds of doors myself... although I dont think I would do it to the supra!

Thanks! :)

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
I have only seen that on one Supra. It was a modification done by Veilside. The kit can only be done in Japan, they will not ship it. I am not sure of the costs. Check MKIV gallery, they should have a pic of it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I think Ive seen that, but the ones on the Veilside are REAL gullwing... they open vertically and straight instead of forward at an angle... know what I mean? hard to explain.. but id rather have the ones that go forward like that... that way (if I did do it on my supra... which I still dont know if I want to) I could keep my targa top :) ... I like my targa top... with gullwing doors that open like the Veilside ones I would need to have the hinges in the roof rather than in front of/in the corners of the doors... but yea thanks for the advice, I think I saw that one one of the readers rides pages too in the MKIV.com list.

I wish I could get a hold of someone with those doors on their car and ask them, but I have no idea who anyone is with that modification..

·
Registered
922 Posts
There was a company at the Los Angeles Auto show that did this exact conversion. They had a number of mustangs on display. I believe (vaguely remember) a cost of something like $10-20 thousand dollars. It looked really nice. I'm sure you could have a custom shop do it much cheaper but I would be afraid to drive it (more specifically crash it).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$10-20 THOUSAND!? Good lord... maybe that was a little more advanced of a job, I want something exactly like the Z if I do it... my friend in Miami said his friend is doing something like that to his car and it wont be nearly that much.... hmm... I was just thinking it would require custom hinges, and little hydraulic tubes or smoething.. didnt think there would be THAT MUCH involved... if it would end up being that much I say forget the whole idea :(

Oh well... hopefully I can get it done somewhere else much cheaper.. yea it would probably be a little sketchy safety wise, but I really am starting to love the look the more and more I look at it... the more I check it out the more I actually think I may wanna do something like that to the supra afterall... hrm.. that price you heard upsets me though... for that price I would be able to get a bad ass wide body kit installed.. and possibly even cover the purchase of it.. it its a less complex one like the TRD... ah well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I believe there is a guy in California that has it done on a black supra. Check out SDSTREETRACING.com. I think that is where I saw pics of it. I talked to a guy in Florida awhile back about doing it on the Z I used to have and it was going to be around $3k. Not sure as I have other things to think about right now on the supra.

stephen

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I remember Keith Ta saying that he knew the guy who did it to a black supra. I'm sure if you contacted Keith he could help you out or point you in the right direction.

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
greensoup said:
There was a company at the Los Angeles Auto show that did this exact conversion. They had a number of mustangs on display. I believe (vaguely remember) a cost of something like $10-20 thousand dollars. It looked really nice. I'm sure you could have a custom shop do it much cheaper but I would be afraid to drive it (more specifically crash it).
The only one I knew with a White Supra was Codi and it was a non turbo. Does it have the stillen side skirts and white rims? If so that's his old ride. He sold it and bought my/Mike Ji 94 auto turbo....

T

·
0 Posts
Definately no where near 10-20K. It is time consuming, the master technician at my shop did it to an Eclipse. Dont know how much it ran for though. but it was there for acouple of months. This is including a complete paint job and shaving a few thing and other crap. But I am thinking somewhere around 5G's to get it done right. Would look killer on a Supra. Might do it to my Civic.

·
Boom! Goes the TNT.
133 Posts
Those are Lamborghini style "scissor" doors. My friend did that to his yellow '94 RX-7 a while ago. I think it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $3k. Looks sweet on the RX-7, but I don't know about the Supra, since it has a wider stance.

S

·
0 Posts
There is a kit out there to do that to your doors. it cost around 4 thousand for the kit. The people that designed the kit copied it off of the lamo. now 4 thousand is for the kit and not the install. im assuming the install will cost you at least another 3-4 g's. I dont remember off of the top of my head who makes the kit but if anyone really is thinking about doing there doors like that ill go and find the company.

Ryan
94 T-78

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SIR... im seriously interested at this point, now that I know the figures are under $10k.. and possibly even more like half that, I would like the info if its not too much trouble for you, if you cant find it easily and its going to be a pain in the ass thats cool though.. but Id appreciate it.. shoot me an e-mail at either [email protected] or [email protected] if you come accross the information... if anyone else has information on these 'scrissor' doors and you would be so kind as to share please do so... thanks a lot!

J

·
0 Posts
What about some "Suicide" doors?! =)

The ones that open in the other direction.

J

D

·
0 Posts
about the doors

That 300z you are looking at is done from a company called Street Weapon .. up near San Diego.. I was there when they were modifying the car..... To do a job like that it will take about a month....and it will cost between 5,000 and 6,000.... the Z costed appr.. 6000...... They do a pretty dang good job as well... I watched part of how they did it.....

Go to: Streetweapon.com...

·
Supra Huntin
39 Posts
Damn! thats alot to spend for doors.. i rather use that money towards a SINGLE TURBO!.. but i guess ppls priorities are different.

I think they do look pretty slick tho!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I totally agree with that... Im trying to add figures up, I want my single FIRST... thats priority for sure, but im probably going to get a loan for a lot of my mods.. since I cant really save up $15k very fast.. thats about what it will cost to go single and get my built tranny... I figure I may if its only a few thousand more add some of that stuff to the amount I request for the loan.. im trying to get as much stuff as I can taken care of with the loan.. then do all the rest just by working my ass off and doing freelance design for people on the side too :)

Single is definately high priority for me though... but I need the transmission first too... I wanna have a Show AND Go car.. not one or the other :D

·
says
390 Posts
Pooshda, If you aim me @ rupertjeep, I was at NOPI last week and took some pictures of a Civic with doors like that. They had 2 hydraulic pumps on it to make the whole thing work. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts