Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am thinking about doing BPU on my Supra. Do I need to have a shop to tune my car after going BPU? My Supra is currently stock. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
you dont have to have a shop tune you after installing some BPU items such as

BOV
FMIC
Boost controller
Exhaust
DP
intake
Stuff liket that... but you can tune it to maximize hp gains...

Geno~

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
the car is going to run rich, so getting a piggyback and getting it tuned is worth it. Im currently getting pretty bad gas mileage on my bpu car at the moment.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
like everyone said, you dont need to have it tuned but i did just so that i can keep my car from running rich and also so it doesnt run too lean. I love my hp and tq numbers, it will be worth it to have it tuned but its not essential

·
Registered
915 Posts
My car is BPU and on stock ecu and my AFR's are fine unless its really cold outside, which causes boost spike past 18 psi and runs lean.. best bet is to get a wideband so you can tell if your car's going to need a tune or not

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
My car is BPU and on stock ecu and my AFR's are fine unless its really cold outside, which causes boost spike past 18 psi and runs lean.. best bet is to get a wideband so you can tell if your car's going to need a tune or not
It is almost impossible to run lean on the stock turbos. Your car will run extremely rich under high boost. (other than the OBD1 lean spot, but that's a different story)

·
ex BPU'er
5,096 Posts
It is almost impossible to run lean on the stock turbos. Your car will run extremely rich under high boost. (other than the OBD1 lean spot, but that's a different story)
Yep. Mine was running super rich. Anyways, as others have said, the Supra ecu, unlike many other cars, is very adaptive.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I agree with the keep it simple methods mentioned above. As long as everything is working normally, even with no tune it will run safely rich and later if you want to tweek the a/f to lean it out a tad you can get a fuel piggyback or mapecu.

You can do a FMIC if you like, but I never even did that throughout my BPU setup, even running the stock SMIC on roadcoarse track days with no adverse effects, track boost kept under 18psi...and with 105 octane/higher boost mine dyno'd 435rwhp/455rwtq with nothing but the BCC, RMM downpipe, TRD catback, boost contoller, stock airbox with TRD element; it always felt strong at track days and ran great...my LWFW added a few whp since I had the HKS triple clutch in there, too.

That's about as simple as you can get with BPU. Play with that setup for a while and then decide where you want to go next.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi guys,

I am thinking about doing BPU on my Supra. Do I need to have a shop to tune my car after going BPU? My Supra is currently stock. Thank you.
No need for a tune on BPU the ECU runs rich as it is and will regulate pretty much anything you throw at with the stock twins. Get a down pipe, BCC, Boost controller and gauge. If you have more to spend an exhaust would be nice. Stay under 20psi or the stockers won’t last very long trust me I know.

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
Cool. I will be doing BPU very soon. Thank you guys.
Yea, until you want to go APU, then you want 1000hp lol.:rant:

Only bad thing about BPU is the itch after.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
More question guys. Do I have to do them (BPU) all at once? I have some spare used parts from my previous Supra that I can use now. I have a good shape RMM downpipe and a Apex N1 Exhaust. I am thinking about getting an intake system and install the RMM downpipe and exhaust all together to start. Will I have a problem with my boost going too high without a BCC & Boost Controller? Or any other problems at all? Thank you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
More question guys. Do I have to do them (BPU) all at once? I have some spare used parts from my previous Supra that I can use now. I have a good shape RMM downpipe and a Apex N1 Exhaust. I am thinking about getting an intake system and install the RMM downpipe and exhaust all together to start. Will I have a problem with my boost going too high without a BCC & Boost Controller? Or any other problems at all? Thank you.
You don't have to do it all at once. The downpipe should be at the top of your list though because the factory cats are very restrictive. Downpipe alone is about 30-40hp extra! With the dp/exhaust/intake you shouldn't hit boost cut. I never hit boost cut when I started out the same way you are even on the coldest of days.

Highly recommend adding a BCC. I believe anything above 14psi for more than 2 seconds and boost cut will become the assasin of joy. Get a BCC and boost controller. You'll be able to get the most out of the factory twins that way. Monitored via boost gauge ofcourse. Keep it under 18psi and hit the street for your first victim;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
If I get a BCC will the boost get too high and damage the engine?
It CAN. The cutoff was designed to extend the life of the turbos. They can handle a fair amount more boost than the cutoff allows, but the higher boost you go, the shorter time line they will last. And EVENTUALLY if you go way to high in the boost (I believe someone else suggested staying under 20psi?) you will give them a very short life span.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts