Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not familiar with the concept of oil pressure. anyone care to expalin to me what it means, how it works, and what would happen if the oil pressure is too low?

thanx

Jonas

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Think of all the moving parts in your engine. Specifically the most important to have pressure, the point where the rods swing on the crankshaft, and where the crankshaft swings where it's held in the block. What oil pressure does, is create a buffer between the crank and the bearings. Remember that the crank is just slightly smaller than the bearings it sits in. By having pressure in the oil that is in that small space, it keeps the parts from touching (hopefully). Just oil being there isn't enough in places like that. It needs to keep the crank centered in the passage. If oil pressure drops too low, the crank will contact the bearings. Shortly after, bearing failure. After that, the crank is ruined. Then funny noises, and eventual engine seize up. That's why oil pressure is so important.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what happens when oil pressure exceed factory specification?
do we really need to worry about this at BPU level?
what should the oil pressure be about for BPU supras?

thanx for the help, I am trying to decide on whether or not to get a gauge to monitor oil pressure.

Jonas

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Up to a point, more oil pressure is a good thing. Until you start going past 100psi (when things may burst), oil pressure just better protects things.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You know that little red oil light on the left (along with the trac light) that comes on when you start the car? Thats an oil pressure warning light. So if you see that while driving, your oil pressure is low. I don't know how the ECU decides when to turn the light on though, probably has an oil pressure/rpm map.

Our engines don't have an oil starvation problems with high-G cornering, so it may not be worth it to get a gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts