Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I toasted my clutch really bad the other week. I got a new disc because the disc was beat. I am going to get the flywheel resurfaced also this week.

Now looking at the pressure plate surface I saw there was some disc material on it yet. So I took some super coarse sandpaper to it to get it pretty much off. Its not %100, but it might work.

My question is how important is the pressure plate surface as oppsed to the rest in working order? I scuffed up the surface good with coarse sandpaper to get some scratches in it to contact with the disc good, but Im curious. I did this before in another HI HP car because the machine shop told me they couldnt resurface the pressure plates.

Any insight before I waste my time putting this back in? I really hate to throw it away or keep the car off the road anymore, but I dont have money for another clutch for awhile yet. Next is deff a carbon-carbon set up.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
21 views and no one has any idea on pressure plate surfaces?

Would my question get answered if I asked about head surfaces after a BHG? :rofl:

I take it no one has ever reused a pressure plate before?

·
Not your average auto mk3
1,046 Posts
I usually just scuffed mine with scotch-brite when i did a clutch change....always seemed to work for me....

How coarse of a paper did you scuff it with?

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
like really coarse. Prob like a 50 grit or some shit. lol
You cant feel the grains in it, but you can see the scuffing. So I am assuming its ok.

I think the rivets from my old disc dug into it a little. it feels a little like there are rings slightly going around it. Kinda like a brake rotor when your brakes are going out.

I think it should be fine, but just reassuring helps. lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would be concerned that the heat that burned up your disc also did a number on the tension on your pressure plate. The only way you are going to know for sure is put it back together. As far as the surface goes, the sanding should work.

G

·
u might want to get it checked and machined since you used sandpaper...there could now be uneven surface levels that aren't visible to the eye that could cause uneven wear on the clutch disc.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
IM not worried about the fingers as much. i am sure they are fine.
A machine shop cant just machine the plate or else, I would have done that. They will have to toally dissasemble it. I dont know if they can or will even do that. I know they wouldnt in the past for me. So i always sanded them. but this one is a little worse

Screw it. i guess I'll just throw it back in and hope for the best. If I can even get thru the summer with it at my tq level, Ill be happy and just go RPS Carbon-Carbon over the winter. Nice way to blow $2k. lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts