Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of rebuilding my motor. It has 225k miles on it. The block is about stripped. Thus far I am extremely pleased with how good everything in the engine looks, no gunk anywhere, cam shafts show very little wear, valves and surrounding areas were not all filled with carbon deposits. My question is, I will be building this motor up and I have read so much about how good the con rods are. After 225k miles would anyone consider replacing them with some upgraded rods, or maybe seeing if I could find some from a dealership? Would having them rebalanced, polished and shot peened do the trick? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have any experience with Gude Cams or Heads?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
There is no reason you can't throw your existing rods back in, though you will probably have to press and ream a new bearing in the small end. Connecting rods are designed so the maximum tensile stress always stays well below the fatigue limit of the material. Unless you exceeded redline frequently, the rods should be as good, or possibly better than new due to their age.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have no way of knowing how often redline was exceded, my guess is like never. Maybe I will just have these cleaned up and reuse them....Anyone else?

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
i dont forsee mileage having any type of negative effect on the strength of your rods. Just be sure to have them shot peened and beam polished when you have the engine blueprinted.

B

·
0 Posts
Yea, get em shot-peened and stick some ARPs in there and you should be good to go.

I have a lower mileage set of rods in damn good shape if you are concerned about yours. About 120K less than yours. If youre interested, let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts