Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 honda civic hb with a 5 speed and I would like to put a remote start on it for the winter time..can i do this..i heard you have to have fi and an auto but is there a way around this

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Yep, you can do it.

There's 2 ways to do it ( i think) They may be the same I only know one.

The reason auto-start won't work on a 5-sp is because of the little wire that won't let you start the car untuill the clutch is down. Just Disable that so it thinks the clutch is allways down and install the starter as usuall. Make sure the car is in neutral all the time though. I don't know how the pro's do it though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a 5spd and I can start my car without the clutch pedal down. Anyways I talked to this guy at audio/alarm install place and he told me that "YES it's possible and very do-able, however it's illegal and if the insurance company finds out, they'll fine you because the car can start rolling and hit people if you forget to put up your parking brake and keep the tranny in neutral" (at least in NJ) So I'm going have someone do it on the side because winters are a bitch. If you get it done, like SHOWOFF already said, make sure your car is ALWAYS in neutral.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's possible, I have remote start on my six speed Supra. All the installer has to do is bypass the clutch, but it's hard to find installers that will actually do this. Like 82mkii said it illegal. Also very very dangerous. If you accidently leave you car in gear and hit the auto start, your car will go. I have heard stories that people have actually gone through garage doors and hit other cars and stuff. Guess thats why they made it illegal on manual cars, too many payoffs by the insurance companies.

Just talk to an installer and have him install it as a side line kinda thing with no paper work and have cash in hand sort of deal.

-jA

sonik said:
i have a 91 honda civic hb with a 5 speed and I would like to put a remote start on it for the winter time..can i do this..i heard you have to have fi and an auto but is there a way around this

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Old topic but...

I use a turbo timer so I know my car is always in neutral when I get out. I wanted a remote start and apparently it's not illegal here as th estereo shop said they could do it for me. However... They told me that every single stick shift car they have EVER done has eventually come back after having been involved in some sort of accident where the remote start has been hit and the car jerked forward. That convinced me to just deal with the cold :(

E

·
0 Posts
Two ways:

right way = specifically designed unit that has a shutdown process

wrong way = bypass clutch, no shutdown process

Both systems will require you to actually bypass the clutch but the right way will require you to leave your vehicle running when you exit and the drivers door closes (signal required) they car may be shut down. It monitors certain zones on the car, and if they are violated then the car wont start.

Polar start, clifford, nordic start, DEI (soon), auto start, command start, and a few other make models as well.

Word of warning to all those that have it the wrong way:
If your car ever jumps forward and hits someone, be prepared to spend time in jail as well as pay the person you hit for the rest of your life. And if you think it wont happen to me, think again, I see a couple examples of this every single year, and vehicular assualt is not a pretty charge.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i have install many remote start on auto and manual. it's very simple. I use remote start made by DEI, ( viper, phython, ect) very cheap pricing.. come swith intall manual and everything. the difference is on the manual you would want to use the shutdown wire and put it onto the hand brake switch. (found at bottom of handbrake). then use a relay and trick the clutch switchs (two of them ) to think that you are pushing down on the clutch. Oh, yeah and have to hook up tech wire such that if car revs too high it would shutdown..

Phython 750, or viper 550 is a complete alarm with remote start.

E

·
0 Posts
moua4c said:
i have install many remote start on auto and manual. it's very simple. I use remote start made by DEI, ( viper, phython, ect) very cheap pricing.. come swith intall manual and everything. the difference is on the manual you would want to use the shutdown wire and put it onto the hand brake switch. (found at bottom of handbrake). then use a relay and trick the clutch switchs (two of them ) to think that you are pushing down on the clutch. Oh, yeah and have to hook up tech wire such that if car revs too high it would shutdown..

Phython 750, or viper 550 is a complete alarm with remote start.
What will happen if the car is in gear??

ANS: it will still lurch forward (dei's try to start 3 times = 3 jumps).

And if it hits anything or even worse hurts someone, the sharks will be knocking on your door, for negligence (sp?) causing bodily harm. Even if you had them sign release waivers, there are always ways around contracts. So take your warning... I just got to see the latest version of it will never happen to me, installer was found liable yet again! Beautiful world is it not?

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
there are systems designed for manual cars. the way they work is this:

car is idling. set ebrake. car is in neutral. remove keys, get out of the car, and lock the door. then press the activate button. the car shuts off. you go do your thing, walk back to the car, press the activate button, and it will ONLY start if a) ebrake is set + b) the system was activated with the car running. most also have an overrev protection, so it is set at say 1750 rpm. if the engine goes above this, it turns off automatically.

i beleive DEI sells such a system, and DEI is one of the best companies for security systems/keyless entry (the make the Viper alarm)

·
Registered
479 Posts
yes, have to set e-brake or else car will not start, even on the GM auto, if you leave in drive and start remotely, the car jumps. DEI had a report on how to prevent this. I know that DEI make more then one ways of shuting down the car.

I put one in an 95 gst eclipse, even put it in gear and start car remotely, car lights up then stops no crank, attempt 3 time then stop. Works fine. Did it two years ago for my cuz. Still working today..

I solder and tape all connection, no butt connector & t-splice. Best way to do alarms..

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
if it's in gear and the ebrake isn't up, the can start and roll till it crashes... that's not good.

E

·
0 Posts
moua4c said:
yes, have to set e-brake or else car will not start, even on the GM auto, if you leave in drive and start remotely, the car jumps. DEI had a report on how to prevent this. I know that DEI make more then one ways of shuting down the car.

I put one in an 95 gst eclipse, even put it in gear and start car remotely, car lights up then stops no crank, attempt 3 time then stop. Works fine. Did it two years ago for my cuz. Still working today..

I solder and tape all connection, no butt connector & t-splice. Best way to do alarms..

Dei has a neg neutral sensor for the automatic trans starters. Latter year GM auto transmissions have a neg output for when the trans is in neutral, so you don't crank the engine over when it is in a gear, causing it to jump.

You can use the neg output an hook it up to the e-brake, but that will not prevent the car from jumping if it is in gear with the e-break up. The only real effectively safe way to prevent a manual car from jumping when it is in gear, is to incorporate a shut down proceedure, no and if or butts. Any other way is unsafe and goes by lottery chances before something will happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts