Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my winter projects I plan on changing many, if not all of my engine lines over to SS/AN fittings. Including the ones on the intake, turbo side and probably valve covers.

Just a quick question on how you get the hose barbs out of these things? Do they simply pull out with proper force, or is there a trick to getting them out of there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If you can't tell how to do it just by looking at it, than you should give the keys back to mommy and daddy.

Was that helpful?
Not really. And a comment like this coming from the retard who wants to put an IC on a NA Supra. http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551548

I didn't want to try and yank them out if it was going to damage something. Is that so stupid of me? I don't think so.

Also, fuck you.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Cut them off as close as possible to the surface then come in with a drill the same OD as the nipple and drill the stub out. HTH

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not really. And a comment like this coming from the retard who wants to put an IC on a NA Supra. http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551548

I didn't want to try and yank them out if it was going to damage something. Is that so stupid of me? I don't think so.

Also, fuck you.
OH DAMN did he just bust you out or what. At least the OP had a question that made sense so he wouldn't cause damage. Your question was just STUPID! HAHAHA

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
All you have to do is hammer the fittings towards the inside of the intake manifold and they will fall out.
^ Bingo... I would use a brass hammer or if you dont have it a rubber one will work as well or a real hammer with a rag on the end

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,408 Posts

·
2JZ S13
2,207 Posts
Can't you buy a clamp to go from a AN line to the barb(s) thats on the intake manifold?

i was gonna do this with my wastegate lines over winter, but i need to know how to connect the lines to the boost controller thats plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
94Canuck, i warned that idiot who posted in the thread an deleted his post. Please PM me if he comes back in this thread as he will be temp banned. And he has been made aware of this.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
the larger breather with come right out, put the valve cover in a vice and use a cresent wrench and rotate the tube out. then use a tap and slowly tap the hole for 5/16 NPT i think i used. then feed in a 5/16 to -8 fitting in there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone.

Also, there is a fitting that looks similar to an AN fitting, it is basically just a worm clamp that is hidden. That is an option I thought about but taking it off and on might prove to be a pain in the long run, and so I think I'll go with a tapped AN fitting, or possibly weldable fitting instead of tapping the hole once the barb(s) are removed. Planning on doing the same thing for my upper water neck (and water pump next time I do the timing/accessory belt)

·
Registered
255 Posts
this would clean up the engine so nicely. please show pics of finished product. thanks

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I've been slowly working away on my turbo side, haven't started on the intake yet. I've changed all my lines for the WG, Turbo and Coolant over to SS Braided except for the upper water neck. I just took that off this morning and ran into a few minor issues.

1. The old gasket is firmly secured the water neck. Not 100% sure how to get that off without damaging the neck itself. I've put some break cleaner on there to try and loosen it up a bit and started to slowly get at it with a razor blade but I don't think that will work fully.

2.) I can't knock these barbs inwards, they have to pull out. The plan is to twist them out, or try the cut off and drill out method, not sure which I will do just yet.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I used a razor blade and some sos pads and the gasket came off eventually. as for the water neck barbs you have to heat them up with a blowtorch and pull and twist them out with some vise grips or channel locks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright solutions that I used:

1. Gasket sprayed with gasket remover and a head resurfacing air tool used, came off in about 3 seconds.

2. Barbs were sprayed with Moovit (PB Plaster/Penetrating Oil) and left to sit an hour or so. Then with the neck in a vice and the use of vice grips they too popped right out with very little effort.

The holes were drilled and tapped to allow a M12 plug, and AN adapter fitting. Only area of concern is I used a slightly bigger drill for the hole than I was suppose to. It called for a 10.5mm drill bit, I used a 10.7 mm, I don't think this will be an issue after a couple of layers of teflon tape on the threads.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As requested, some photos of before/after this little project. Pretty damn happy with it.

Before: Hose heat wrapped and ran in random and not very appealing ways in hindsight.

After: Braided SS Lines for the Turbo, Wastegate, Coolant and Boost Solenoid connections. Modified upper waterneck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts