Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 2jzgete over built motor. It has forged crank,pistons and rods. Now I have going to UTI(Universal Technical Insitute) which one best automotive schools. I coming up to about two years and close graduating. Hopefully I will work for lexus or toyota. But that besides point right now I am in class called hot rods. I learning in detail alot about 350 chevys and various domestic small/big blocks. I relate what I learn to supras. Now we got interesting subject about piston ring end gap when comes to boost or nitrous cars. Now need bigger end gap compared to stock. Now also find need different end gap for boost level. So say you have turbo running at 8psi and your piston ring gap is at .002 now you up to the boost to16 psi. Well hear lies the quest the teacher says you need to change out piston rings with bigger gap to compensate for boost. But what about 2jzgte. How much power can the stock motor take and I mean stock motor with the same pistons,cranks, rods and piston rings. I know the stock twins can handle 400 or so but what if upgrade to big single turbo how much boost/ power could stock motor handle? Cause if don't have change piston rings for boost then 2jzgte had place piston rings with gap well over what is need in stock form.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Now I have never heard that as you keep adding boost you need to keep changing ring end gaps. Seems like a huge waste of time and money to me. Total max power on a stock block was like 10xxrwhp. I'd say most power reliably where you can just worry about your tune would be in the mid 700's. 800's you will prob be ok for a while, and 900's you are really pushing it from a standpoint of if you want your motor to last at all.

For the most part you need at least rods above 750 on an otherwise internally healthy engine, but the first thing that lets go are the rod bolts if I'm not mistaken. So if you want past 800 you should at least be doing rods IMO as the stock pistons are good for almost whatever. The crank, pistons, and block are usually ok to keep stock when making stupid power.

Alex

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can you run those numbers say with a log style exhaust manifold and stock intake manifold? I know they would be a big restriction in power but could you do it.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I think what you are refering to is similar to what end gap you will run for the 1st and 2nd rings with aftermarket piston manufactures for forged pistons. I dont think the stock piston is forged. When I had some Ross pistons they wanted me to run a large gaps for 1st and 2nd rings, I think they were around 17-19thousands. I dont know what the stock end gaps are but I would imagine they are not that much, probably 9-11thousands. I believe this has allot to do with how much the piston expands which if the gap is not enough the ring end with touch and possibly cause issues in the bore.
While the stock pistons and rings are good for 1000+whp, there must be something in the material of the piston itself that does not expland as much as an aftermarket forged one. Then there is the rings, when I took mine out they looked to be one piece iron (possibly hardend or nitrided), The aftermarket ones that I know of are iron moly coated, ductile iron chrome faced etc..

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Can you run those numbers say with a log style exhaust manifold and stock intake manifold? I know they would be a big restriction in power but could you do it.
You can make into the 700s with a log mani and the stock intake. Its difficult, not the best way, but doable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can make into the 700s with a log mani and the stock intake. Its difficult, not the best way, but doable.
After 700 do become too much of restriction than worth. So saying how less power would you have from what you should be making. Like if you had 600 hp turbo kit. How much would think you be making if ran a log style exhaust manifold with stock intake manifold?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts