Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight here is the thing, i want to put a sub and amp where the backseat is. Only thing i was wondering is can you use a combo of mdf for 3 sides and fiberglass for the bottom then on the front and lid of the box use some sort of plexiglass? Just wondering, cuz I am very new to car audio and thought it might be nice to play around with. I can make sub boxes but i didnt know if using a combo of the three would work or not. Thanks in advance

Nick

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Yes it is possible, there are many fiberglass/mdf enclosures with plexi windows on them. A few things you need to realize though, is that for fiberglass to work it takes a LOT of it. It's not as strong as plexi or mdf so it will take a pretty thick layer to get good results. It is also hard to work with and takes some practice, so maybe before you start on such a big project you could make kick panels or a neat fiberglass storage rack or amp rack or something that wont take a huge amount. Plexi is a great material to work with, again read up on how to work with it. And unfortunately I wouldn't recommend using it for your front baffle. I just find it doesn't have the same sound nor stability that a double thick mdf enclosure has (two 3/4" or 1" sheets together) however when you do get this done, pics ! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info, I have been using fiberglass for some time now but i just didnt know if it would would with the three materials all together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts