Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
We has your money!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea on how to make 91 octane gas into say 94 or higher octane using xylene...say i start with a 5 gallon can of 91 octane..how much xylene do i add, and is there anything else i need to add.
Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
The common mix ratio is 70% gasoline to 30% Xylene, which equates to about 5 gallons of Xylene and the rest gas to fill your tank (assuming you'll be filling a Supra). This should put you right at about 97-98 octane (for your gas). Here in GA we use 93 octane so I'd be right at about 100-101 octane with this mix.
Also, you'll want to add about 5oz. of Marvels Mystery Oil, or Light Turbine Engine Oil, to every gallon of Xylene you use. This replaces some of the lubrication that would be lost using Xylene.

·
462 Posts
I've heard good things about toulene also...

But, it's very toxic...so not sure about handling.

Anyone have any ideas bout toulene?

B

·
0 Posts
I use xylene sometimes. I get 5 gallons of it, add a qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil put it all in the tank then fill it the rest of the way with 93. Its good for a whole tank of 100 octane.

S

·
0 Posts
Good topic.

Are there any disadvantage of using Tourine or Xylene as opposed to straight 100 or 104 Octane race gas? I guess what I am asking is, Is 100 octane = 100 octane no matter how you get there?

Are there any potential negative affects from using Xylene that you would not get from using generic high octane race gas? Any positive benefits?

What is the mathematical conversion table for raising Octane level with Xylene? (How much Xylene raises 1 gallon of gasoline how many octane?)

How much does Xylene it cost?

Where do I get Marvel's Mystery Oil?

G

·
0 Posts
well i read the site but it didnt mention about safety. Can i run 91 octance w/ Xylene on the street all day long or its track use ie temperiory only? Why not just use 100 octane from 76 and wouldnt have to run through all the trouble getting stuff? Its just 1 dollar more each gallon.

B

·
0 Posts
You gotta look at it like this.........

$20 gets you 5 gallons of race gas (most any octane) and it also gets you 5 gallons of xylene.........

5 gallons of race gas gets you 5 gallons of race gas.

5 gallons of xylene gets you 15 gallons of 100 octane.........

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
So is the formula for the Toulene or Xylene the better one to use? What are the hazards of Toulene? Has anyone on this board used Toulene? Where do you get Toulene? Questions, Questions, Questions!!

·
462 Posts
I've used Torko additive a few times with good results. It's 8.95 a can and makes 104 octane when mixed with 10 gallons.

B

·
0 Posts
If its $9 a CAN it aint gonna give you anything but a whole in the wallet........................

S

·
0 Posts
ILoveBoost said:
You gotta look at it like this.........

$20 gets you 5 gallons of race gas (most any octane) and it also gets you 5 gallons of xylene.........

5 gallons of race gas gets you 5 gallons of race gas.

5 gallons of xylene gets you 15 gallons of 100 octane.........
Not that this math is wrong at all, but I think this is a better way to look at it to get a better pricing comparison...

5 gallons of Xylene = $20
1 quart Mystery Oil = $5
10 gallons 93 octane = ~$17

so 15 gallons of 100 octane this way costs ~ $42 or $2.80/gallon

-or-

15 gallons of 100 at the pump would run you ~ $60 or $4.00/gallon.

So for 100 Octane the Xylene saves you about $18.

What might make this a little more interesting is that some people may be able to find 104 octane for as little as $4.00 depending on your location. I know I can here in Houston. That being the case, would filling up the tank with 104 octane be worth the $18 premium over a tank full of 100 octane? Is 104 ever necessary even if you are running a big single turbo?

·
462 Posts
ILoveBoost said:
If its $9 a CAN it aint gonna give you anything but a whole in the wallet........................
Not concerend with that...try having a family with kids...car becomes a very small hole after that!!!! LOL!!!

Have you tried Torko??? Just curious as to your observations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts