Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried looking thru old threads for infor on upgrading N/A to turbos and lots of people are saying that F-MAx is bad and go with something else. Anyway I went to F-Max's website and it said that you create around 320 bhp which seems low compared to other kits but isn't the F-MAx alot cheaper than other kits? I went to Sound Performance and they sell kits for around $5000...isn't the F-MAx under $4000. OK, I do realize that the Sound Performance kits are probably alot superior but I just want to know makes the F-MAx bad?

Is it the turbo itself? Or customer service? Or people just don't like the name? Just asking because I haven't found this info in the dozens of posts about upgrading N/A Supras.

And how good (anyone got specs?) is that turbo kit on www.turbochargers.com ? I saw someone had bought a kit on it on this forum, but can't find him.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i heard that the quality of their kits are bad... but that's just rumor. i don't don't know personally. can someone else shed light on the subject?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I have 2 friends with Fmax kits, they are a reasonable kit but have several things about them that make them inferior (IMO) compared to other kits you can buy.

1. the exhaust manifold is not a good design, it is ok for low hp, but won't flow well at bigger hp levels. Also, it is setup so it is imposible to get a big T turbo to fit.

2. It retains the stock afm and injectors and uses a couple of additional injectors. Again, you are limiting hp. Also, keeping the stock afm means you need to return the bov air into the intake to keep from stalling.

3. fit and finish is fair/poor. Neither of my friends hadmuch luck getting everything installed easily.

Basically, the fmax kit is ok if you want to make 350rwhp. But if you want serious hp I would look elsewhere.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've got a friend that put a Garrett TO4E or R on his FMax Kit and he used about 6 guages and he got 522rwhp. I've seen the dyno slip and that's what he got. Go here photopoint.com and put in [email protected] and look at his pics. The car is a 5 speed and is fast!!! I'm going to go with this Dave but I'm going to get a TT Rail and injectors instead of the additional injectors. I'm going to upgrade the turbo also but not for a while.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Hmm.... I don't buy it. :D Not that I don't believe you, but have you seen the car on the dyno? I'd guess the guy is full of bs. For one thing the fuel injectors you get with the Fmax kit will max out at ~430rwhp. Also, getting 522rwhp out of a T04E seems pretty unbelievable also. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Photopoint is down right now, so I couldn't check out the pics.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Hey Dave, if you don't want to build your tranny the Fmax kit will be good. Much over 300-350rwhp and your tranny will turn to mush. If you are able to build your tranny then you have a lot of choices.

Thanks Taz, I never thought of myself as a "tuner" before. :D

urmild said:
Dave, I have an automatic NA and I would like to turbo it. What kit would you suggest?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey

that was me that he was referring to, it wasnt the stock f-max kit...just the manifold, better fuel system and turbo...car wasnt tuned right at all, and you can guess what happened. I dont post here, I hardly ever read here but we arent busy at work today. Im usually on at nights, IM me- t04supracer

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveH said:
Hey Dave, if you don't want to build your tranny the Fmax kit will be good. Much over 300-350rwhp and your tranny will turn to mush. If you are able to build your tranny then you have a lot of choices.

Thanks Taz, I never thought of myself as a "tuner" before. :D

sorry to bother you again Dave, but how much would it cost to build up an auto tranny to support 500-600hp vs. going to a manual ?

greatly appreciated !!!!

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
My tranny from SP was $2900, plus $750 for the torque converter. The price to switch to the 5-speed can vary a lot. Depends on if you can find used parts and how much labor you can do yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts