Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New Jersey. Whats the rule of thumb on temp. I mainly drive the car in the spring and summer months I bought Castrol 10w30 Synthetic and want to be sure it's ok Thanks

·
3,148 Posts
10W30 will be fine.

Later, Steve

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10w30 is what I use. Try Mobile 1 or Amsoil. They are IMO better oils.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
im using 10w 30 mobil 1 for my tt and im also in nj, but i drive the car through all season...ne recommandations for my supra?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Jeff, what's your theory with the mileage? I'm curious how it affects your choice.

John H
just bumped 60k

JWatson said:
Low mileage? Under 60,000........ 5W30 Royal Purple

J

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
bump

Anyone know why jeff w would say w30 for lower but what for higher?? 10w30 15w50??
If it were someone other than Jeff I'd say they'd been snow-jobbed by the recent marketing campaigns of the oil manufacturers recommending Special Oil for SUV's, Special Oil for Cars, Special Oil for Black Cars with Red Stripes, Special Oil for Cars with More Than 4 Racing Stickers, etc. :nuts: And of course these Special oils do happen to cost more. Hmmmm...... What might that be??? Marketing, perhaps....???? LOL AS IF the appropriate oil is determined by mileage instead of actual engine clearances -- Do ALL engines suddenly get loose at 75K miles??? And suddenly they all need 15w50??? Uh.... No. I'm calling Marketing Bullshit. :)

However, since it's Jeff, I'd be interested to read his reply, because he probably has a legitimate real world reason to recommend what he does in this case.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I think I recall seeing reports from guys here who do regular oil analysis (maybe it was Chip aka Lagtime?) that they've seen RP oils result in less metallic components in the oil...which indicates that the engine wear surfaces from which those metals get into the oil are wearing less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts