Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a house at the beach and started tossing around the idea of picking up a bike to use for the commute down every other weekend. My family will be going down before me and leaving after me....someone has to bring the $$$ in....so I will be driving down and back by myself most of the time. I was thinking a bike would be somewhat more practical then driving my truck down, and it might be more fun too. My last bike was a '03 GSX-R600. It was a great bike, but was uncomfortable for extended riding. I'm looking for a bike to use to ride ~3 hours to the beach. I've read that the Busa is more of a touring bike and, therefore, more comfortable. I know several ppl on here have/had Busa's. What are your experiences w/ extended riding. I would also appreciate input on riding stretched and lowered Busa's w/ fat tire swaps in the rear....sorry, but I love the look. Any years better than others? Right now I'm eyeing a '05 and a '06.
Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions.
Scott

·
Registered
603 Posts
A Busa with a set of helibars would be perfect for what you are talking about. Helibars simply move the clipons back and up one inch . They make for a much more comfortable riding experience.

Jonathan

·
FUCK NOW!
1,076 Posts
You ever think about an XX or a VFR?

Jonny

·
Registered
72 Posts
the 99' Busa was the year that made most power as they were entirely unrestricted.

riding a stretched busa is about like trying to make a school bus handle whilst pulling a trailer.. it's crap. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have you looked into the ZX-14's? I heard those handle similar to the smaller bikes and very comfortable to ride. Plus, I think they're sexier stretched and lowered. That's just me though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
the 99' Busa was the year that made most power as they were entirely unrestricted.

riding a stretched busa is about like trying to make a school bus handle whilst pulling a trailer.. it's crap. :)

Please don't misinform people on here, the 99's did not make more power. The later years 01 and up have a restriction on 6th gear that keeps it from pulling past 186mph. This is defeated by using a resistor that tricks the bike into thinking it is in 5th gear.

Jonathan

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
hey Scott,

yeah the vfr is a nice sporty geared more towards touring bike also!

love the single sided swingarm on them!

busas are nice but you would have to make it comfortable for your purpose

but i would do either the busa or the vfr as far as options IMO

tom

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
Make a Busa comfortable? It IS comfortable as shit. What else would you want? The bike is low, stable, and the seating position is sporty, but relaxed. Shit, I wouldn't mind having one for daily riding, but I really dislike heavy bikes. I ride twisties. I have to suck up the pain from my 600s.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Please don't misinform people on here, the 99's did not make more power. The later years 01 and up have a restriction on 6th gear that keeps it from pulling past 186mph. This is defeated by using a resistor that tricks the bike into thinking it is in 5th gear.

Jonathan
i've recently seen dyno's of the Busa's early years, vs later years, on AF1 racing's dyno. the 99 made a decent bit more power than the later models did.

as it was explained to me, it was a common thing among their other models similarly dyno'd. not referring at all to the TRE mods, just simply that the earlier models actually made more.

in either event, both new and old models don't make enough, and new and old models are outdated and slow ;)

·
Nothing
1,491 Posts
After all these years I still fail to see what goes through peoples minds when they thing, "I want to take a great sport tourer and turn it into a hunk of junk. The first thing I'm going to do is chrome out everything possible on it, and after I've done that I want to stretch, lower, and put a SSSA on it. I might paint it some ugly green color or put a sound system on it so I can weight it down even more."

·
Registered
603 Posts
i've recently seen dyno's of the Busa's early years, vs later years, on AF1 racing's dyno. the 99 made a decent bit more power than the later models did.

as it was explained to me, it was a common thing among their other models similarly dyno'd. not referring at all to the TRE mods, just simply that the earlier models actually made more.

in either event, both new and old models don't make enough, and new and old models are outdated and slow ;)

ALL , read ALL years of Busas put down about 155 hp at the wheel stock. As for being slow, if you have something you'd like to run let me know :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts

What are you smoking?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts