Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking at options for hopefully going single one of these days, and I like the price of the Greddy T78 kit... Anyone on here have a T78 on an auto and how do you feel about it... is there a ton of lag or is it ok?... Also, If I went with a Greddy T78, are there other turbos that will bolt upto the kit simply by swapping the turbo???

And finally, what all else would I need to buy, I hear this kit isnt complete like say a Sound Performance kit, what else other than a wastegate would I need?... Just trying to figure everything out, and I know I would need fuel... but how difficult is it to run a T78 on stock fuel/MAF?.. I heard if you keep it at 14 or 16lbs it should be fine... Anyone who can help, thanks! :D

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
With a big 'ol stall...anything is possible...Hell, I have a T76bb turbo on an auto...yeah, punch it from a stop w/o brake boosting...there's a bit of lag...but with a big stall, even that's not too bad. Still better than my old T88/6spd!

-Someone around here has a T78/auto - hopefully he'll find this thread...

Jay

·
1500+ rwhp member
912 Posts
t78 and auto

I am running this setup. A couple things to keep in mind.
1. The transmission will need to be upgraded.
2. Stall torque converter is a NO BRAINER (3400 +)
3. Fuel management and Fuel upgrade would be another add-on
4. With this turbo without computer work or upgrading it
you will find that it will spool so hard that you will hit the rev
limiter between gears if you are above 1.3 bar

All in all the turbo is awesome just don't get stuck on the idea that you can buy this kit without doing some major changes. This turbo has the ability to put down some serious HP but without the proper other modifications you could cause huge problems.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I run this setup as well and I feel that it has great potential with a bigger stall converter. Lag from a stop is pretty bad and you have to be around 4K to really be in the boost from a roll. I run 1.0 bar or 15psi on race gas and it pulls awesome. I also run stock IC and MAF. Plan on getting a stall with your kit if you want to compete or drag, and I would not get anything lower than a 4000k stall. My tranny has held up just fine....with out an upgrade, ofcourse I dont drag alot either, but with a bigger stall, I'm not sure how long it will last without being built.

With the kit you will need to buy a BOV for it and have it welded on it to a hardpipe. Any T4 exhaust flange footprint turbo will work on the greddy manifold, but the Downpipe will have to modded to fit that particular exhaust housing, ie, V-bands, 4 bolt circle, etc. As for the MAF pipe I have a 4" to 3.5" nitrile hump hose reducer and a 3.5" intake pipe that I connect my MAF too...works great. Good luck! The kit is worth the money, great quality and fitment and makes great power.
email me with any other ?'s

SH
T78

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I am pretty sure Henry Nguyen is running the same combo as well. Hes got a built tranny, nitrous and fuel and he is running 10.15s with some 315 drag radials. I would like to see what Supreme is going to run in the SP70 and auto combo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts