Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in another post that only Brembo's upgraded kits are true cast cross drilled rotors and all of the others (even brembo brand like MVP sells) is a Brembo rotor that is later drilled out. Is this true?

I'm asking because I need to replace my rotors and I'm wondering if I should just get the OEM. I will be doing some hot lapping at mid ohio and some regular autocrossing. I need something that isn't going to warp or crack, but I don't want to spend $3K for the Brembo upgrade.

·
powered by
998 Posts
With the mk4 brakes being as good as they are, I would go with the stock rotors. You may want to upgrade the pads, to something like porterfields and change the fluid and possibly add SS brake lines. Rotors themselves won't make a hugh differernce. If I recall right, Reg Riemer used stock rotors on his one lap car, but installed them on opposite sides for better cooling. If I'm right about him using stock rotors, that says quite a bit about the stockers.....

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured I'd go with the stockers too. I picked up some Carbo tech Panther Plus pads to go with my new rotors. Man those are some EXPENSIVE pads!

D

·
0 Posts
I have power slot rotors.
they stop alot better then the stockers.
if your need to replace them might as well spend a few more bucks and get some slotted.

if you are going to autoX don't use cross drilled. they crack and warp very easily with hard braking

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
The Brembos are cast. I have Stillen's which are drilled, I've beaten on them pretty hard, and warped them just like the stockers, I turned them and they haven't cracked. A lot of people swear by stock rotors. Personally I like the X-Drilled both for functionality and looks. (I get a lot of compliments on the brakes) While I've pushed them pretty hard in the canyons, and they haul me down from high speeds pretty well, I've never had them on the track. And my brakes fade after a few times in a row of full stops from 120, but that mostly because of the crappy Stillen pads I have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts