Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what's up..I've got a few questions regarding owning a turbo car..things I should know about owning a turbo car, maintenance, etc. that would be different over other cars..I currently have a 93 NA auto, and I just graduated high school (18 years old) and will most likely be looking into getting rid of my na and moving onto a TT car or small single (don't want something with TOO much power..). For those of you that are concerned with my age..don't be. I'm a good kid and really responsible with my current Supra..havn't had a single ticket, and actually have never even been pulled over..I havn't been into cars too long, but just completed a 2 year automotive technology class through school, so I do have some basic knowledge. I just want to understand what I am getting into and have research behind me before I step into the game of being boosted..

Any information from personal experience, or anything you feel will help me is greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance, guys.

-Steven

· King of Snark
2,126 Posts
Rule #1 make sure you cool your turbo down after running it hard. That means let it idle for a little while if you can before you take it out and thrash it again. Otherwise you will be on here asking us if a hole where your turbo used to be is a bad thing.

· Registered
2,459 Posts
Rule #1 make sure you cool your turbo down after running it hard. That means let it idle for a little while if you can before you take it out and thrash it again. Otherwise you will be on here asking us if a hole where your turbo used to be is a bad thing.
Yes make sure you get a turbo timer to cool down the turbo, maintainence can be expensive on our cars. I paid about $1100 to flush the tranny, flush the coolant, boot leak test, compression test, changed the timing belts.

When you upgrade the turbo depending how much power you want, do it right. You will most likely need upgraded fuel system, clutch, FMIC, etc..... which are not cheap.

In the end if you take care of it and do the upgrades right you won't be disappointed.

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help so far guys. Yeah I've been reading as much as I can since I've joined sf, and I've really learned alot. I just want to make sure I have a good amount of knowledge before hopping into the game of boost :p

Thanks again guys.

· Suprastar
233 Posts
I paid about $1100 to flush the tranny, flush the coolant, boot leak test, compression test, changed the timing belts.
Thats about what I paid at Toyota. It was an arm and a leg but im also paying for peace and mind especially for being a brand new owner when I purchased mine.

Now after a good 2 yrs almost, im not afraid to jump out there and work on it myself. It took some balls though especially since the parts arent cheap if you mess up.

· Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Get a decent TT, dont abuse it every 5 mins, keep the oil changed and all maint and it should be a good car for years to come with no large mechanical issues. Also, I never put any faith in a turbo timer and my stockers were still able to hold 20+psi to redline at 175K when I took them off

· King of Snark
2,126 Posts
still nice to have the turbo timer in the event you are in a hurry or you forget.. I'd rather pay for the insurance just in case..

· Registered
601 Posts
still nice to have the turbo timer in the event you are in a hurry or you forget.. I'd rather pay for the insurance just in case..
i would agree. i can't see the synthetic oil cooling down in 60sec....better safe than sorry in case you did some spirited driving just before arriving at your destination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.