Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive done search for info on this but cant seem to come up with much info? im not very informed about these, but from what i understand, their use is neccesitated/beneficial when revving your engine higher and they also drop weight from the valvetrain? can someone with info and experience with this setup chime in and give me the 411:D also, where would you find these for a 2JZGTE head, and would they need machining to fit?

TIA

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Simple,

Measure the valve clearance, then remove all buckets keeping them numbered as to where they go, use a micrometer and measure their thichness, calculate desired clearance, go to Toyota and order valve buckets for a MR-2 spyder they are availabel in .02mm incriments, fit perfectly no machining required cost about 300$ for all 24. I did it to mine and seems to rev a little smoother at higher rpm.

Ishii
(toyota master tech)

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Also it removes 12 ounces or more from the valvetrain depending on how thick the original shims were.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
buckets

Here is a pic of how to measure your buckets.

and a table that shows bucket number per thickness.
the number is printed inside the bucket, so when you get them just look at the number and refer to the chart to see what size it is.

Ishii

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok wait so what exactly is the purpose of this? You get the mr2 buckets that are thicker so you don't use the shims on the stock buckets? uhm what exactly are the buckets? i see in the pic wut thye look like but i mean. is there another word fo it other than buckets?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I dont understand how does it weigh less when it ends up being the same thickness as the stock buckets along with the shims to get the same clearance? Are the shims made of heavier material?

·
Registered
163 Posts
this is a common mod done to the 91-95 mr2 turbo as well, it basically reduces weight and prevents a undersize shim to fly out at high rpm's is more for safety I would say.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
makaveli200369 said:
I dont understand how does it weigh less when it ends up being the same thickness as the stock buckets along with the shims to get the same clearance? Are the shims made of heavier material?

Here is the difference. The shimless buckets outside surface is much thinner compared to a Shim. The Shimless bucket on the inside has a center tip (refer to picture above) that veries in length making up the total thickness.
Where as a Shim has the same thickness for the entire diameter of the bucket.

So less material=less wieght.

This is mostly helpfull for High lift camshafts so the shims don't get shot out. (not really a problem on the 2jz or 3s) but on a 7m or 4a they are absolutely needed with high lift camshafts.

But for people looking for every single performance upgrade possible even to get that 10th of a horsepower, reducing valve train weight will help.

Ishii

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Oh I get it now. With your explanation and the pic I see what your saying now. Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have done this mod on my All-Trac 3S-GTE...just like ishii described the installation is how i did it

·
Registered
207 Posts
I plan on doing this, am I supposed to measure with the shim still in the bucket? Most of my shims alone were 2.7 - 2.9mm, the minimum shimless bucket thickness in the above attachment from Ishii is 5.06... I'm guessing I need the thickness of the stock bucket added to my shim thicknesses to get the right shimless bucket sizes I need to order?

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
I plan on doing this, am I supposed to measure with the shim still in the bucket?
Yes. you should have not removed them. Sorry for not making that clear.
You must measure the old bucket with the shim still in it. Do not remove the shims off the buckets before measuring it may cause you to be off by a .001" to .002" if the shim isn't sitting perfectly on the bucket.

Place the shim back in the bucket and make sure to push it down hard and ensure that the shim is seated.

If you have mismatched the shims and buckets you need to retake your valve clearance and start over. (meaning you don't know if you put the same shim back on the same bucket)

Adding the shim thickness to the bucket thickness should work, but will most likely give you a slightly inacurate reading. It is better to take one measurement.

Ishii

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ishii, check you pm. Box is full.

Can someone post Toyota part numbers for these buckets ?
My local dealer here in germany knows nothing about them because we don't have these cars on our roads, so some part # would be fine !

Thank you all !

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Hi Steve, I am thinking of doing this. I have a set of HKS 272's and have re-shimmed all 24 to get the clearances to spec. The motor is not done but I am really thinking of going with shimless buckets now. Is there a danger of spitting out the conventional shims when revving up to 9K with 272's? Thanks!

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Hi Steve, I am thinking of doing this. I have a set of HKS 272's and have re-shimmed all 24 to get the clearances to spec. The motor is not done but I am really thinking of going with shimless buckets now. Is there a danger of spitting out the conventional shims when revving up to 9K with 272's? Thanks!
hahaha, with the amount of time and money in your motor? Whats 2-3 hours and
300$?!!!!

to be honest I can't give a 100% answer to your question. But I think you will be ok. But at 9krpm I'd be more interested in the weight savings to shut the valves. Can't wait to see your project when it's done!

Ishii

1 - 20 of 88 Posts