Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CrESsIdA = PuSsY mAgNiT!
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how much realible hp it can hold and if there are any rebuild kits with stronger parts? and if so where i can get a hold of them. thanx

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There is a rebuild kit from MDC motorsports that is nice. Hp, I have seen it hold 600 reliably and treated the transmission with some respect. But I built a R154 and it holds 900rwhp and it has for over a year and a half, but thats another story. And remember horsepower doesn't kill transmissions, it's torque.

More than likely, all you'll need is a nice rebuild and good oil. I doubt your setup will test R154 limits. But I dont know your setup so, I shouldnt judge. I recommend getting the thrust washer re-made from a good material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a rebuild kit from MDC motorsports that is nice. Hp, I have seen it hold 600 reliably and treated the transmission with some respect. But I built a R154 and it holds 900rwhp and it has for over a year and a half, but thats another story. And remember horsepower doesn't kill transmissions, it's torque.

More than likely, all you'll need is a nice rebuild and good oil. I doubt your setup will test R154 limits. But I dont know your setup so, I shouldnt judge. I recommend getting the thrust washer re-made from a good material.
according to the MDC website their rebuild kit is just bearings, seals and syncros, how would that make it any stronger then stock? when you start talkin 600hp+ isnt it the gears themselves that can start to strip/break?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
no, the gears are fine, it's the thrust washer that usually takes a shit on yah, and after that it's gonna be bearings...

synchros are a wear item, they go out with time and use...

it seems like the R254 will take tons of torque, but it doesn't like shock loads that destroy the thrust washer...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
according to the MDC website their rebuild kit is just bearings, seals and syncros, how would that make it any stronger then stock? when you start talkin 600hp+ isnt it the gears themselves that can start to strip/break?
The guy just wants to rebuild his shit, thats why I pointed him into MDC's direction. When I was refering to a build of the R154, I was just saying that it can handle more when it's built right and that it's possible. There are a lot of people out there that have just cryo frozen shit, upgraded the shifter fork, and maybe the thrust washer and hoped for the best. There is much more to be done. I wrote about this on another thread a while back. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
in the middle of rebuilding mine the gears are strong enough to hold 600+ its usually the thrust washer for 1st gear. Mine broke in half replacing it now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The guy just wants to rebuild his shit, thats why I pointed him into MDC's direction. When I was refering to a build of the R154, I was just saying that it can handle more when it's built right and that it's possible. There are a lot of people out there that have just cryo frozen shit, upgraded the shifter fork, and maybe the thrust washer and hoped for the best. There is much more to be done. I wrote about this on another thread a while back. I'll see if I can find it.
ya i remember seeing a thread where you talked about having an r154 built, if you have a writeup of what all was done, that would be great, im running over 500rwhp and im sure that as soon as i get my new stickier tires my tranny is not gonna lst long

·
CrESsIdA = PuSsY mAgNiT!
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my car should be making over 600hp possibly in the 700hp range. its a 1.5jz. so i was wondering if i would have to go 6spd but i dont want to spend that cash if i dont have to. it also has to be realiable because its a street car not my daily but i would be using it alot.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
just don't beat on it (drag use seems to be the main cause of failure)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I dunno what you're gonna do then, a built auto might be better anyways for drag...

Duane is running really high numbers and still on an R154 (rebuilt), so who really knows...

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
TH400 for drag! I got a T-56 just laying around. One day it'll end up in the car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts