Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

You seem like a bunch of nice guys so I'm thinking you could help me answer a few questions for me.
It is sooo hard to find some info and advice here in Sweden.

Please bare with me on this one : )
And I hope I didn't post in the wrong forum since I posted it almost everywhere:D (Sorry)

Is it worth the extra $$$ to buy an electrical Boost Gauge instead of a mechanical one if I'm only gonna be BPU?
Do I really need a EGT Gauge at BPU?
I mean, safety is good but it will cost so much since I want the Apexi EL Gauges...

Is the VeilSide Knock bodykits as horrible as everybody says?
I was thinking of the VeilSide Rear Under Spoiler and Side Skirts and the same Bomex Front Lip that SW has on his beautiful Supra 97... The reason I'm going Knock Off is because the price to ship the bodykit is as much as the bodykit itself!

Is it worth it for me to buy a Tanbe Racing Medallion shipped to Sweden for 850$ when I can buy the Apexi Dunk Canister for much less money and fix it myself for lets say 400$?
Or have an exhaust custom made for me for about 750$? It is a quality exhaust system made in stainless steel by proffesionals.

Which Intake Kit is the best to go with? Is the Max Air Box worth the $ or should I just do my own one with a filter and a thermal wrap?

Once again, excuse me for all the questions but theese are the only things that move around in my head all day and I'd rather have them on my car : )

Thanx again!

Sincerely
Jiray - Supra TT -94 6-Speed

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Slowpoke said:
Hi Guys!

Is it worth the extra $$$ to buy an electrical Boost Gauge instead of a mechanical one if I'm only gonna be BPU?
I mean, safety is good but it will cost so much since I want the Apexi EL Gauges...
IMHO, you would be best suited to get an HKS-EZ electronic boost controller even at BPU. It's one of the more reasonably priced controllers, and it's very reiable for BPU or large singles.

Is it worth it for me to buy a Tanbe Racing Medallion shipped to Sweden for 850$ when I can buy the Apexi Dunk Canister for much less money and fix it myself for lets say 400$?
Or have an exhaust custom made for me for about 750$? It is a quality exhaust system made in stainless steel by proffesionals.[/B]
This is just a metter of opinion. Since I can't see the finished work of your custom job, and I am not really familiar with the dunk canister, I can't really say. If it were me though, I would rather purchase a proven exhaust rather than have one custom made.

·
666 Posts
Slowpoke said:
Hi Guys!

You seem like a bunch of nice guys so I'm thinking you could help me answer a few questions for me.
It is sooo hard to find some info and advice here in Sweden.

Please bare with me on this one : )
And I hope I didn't post in the wrong forum since I posted it almost everywhere:D (Sorry)

Is it worth extra??? No

Is the VeilSide Knock bodykits as horrible as everybody says?
Yes

I was thinking of the VeilSide Rear Under Spoiler and Side Skirts and the same Bomex Front Lip that SW has on his beautiful Supra 97... The reason I'm going Knock Off is because the price to ship the bodykit is as much as the bodykit itself!

Don't go with a Veilside kit... that stuff has been out since like 94 or less, and it has always looked like ass

Or have an exhaust custom made for me for about 750$? It is a quality exhaust system made in stainless steel by proffesionals.
get the custom made exhaust as long as they make it atleast 3" and use Mandrel bends

Which Intake Kit is the best to go with? Is the Max Air Box worth the $ or should I just do my own one with a filter and a thermal wrap?
intakes wo't do anything for you power wise, make your own if you want

Once again, excuse me for all the questions but theese are the only things that move around in my head all day and I'd rather have them on my car : )

Thanx again!

Sincerely
Jiray - Supra TT -94 6-Speed

·
3,148 Posts
The real advantage of the electronic gauges is the peak hold and warning functions. The warning function isn't that necessary on a BPU car, but the peak hold is a nice feature. I don't think the EGT gauge is necessary, but you will have to ask yourself if the peak hold function on the boost gauge is worth the extra money.

I would buy an Apexi N1 exhaust if you like that look. It would allow you to save money over the Tanabe Racing Madalion, but with a better quality than a custom unit. I have found that typically custom parts end up costing just as much as the over the counter parts by the time you include all the time $ you put into them. And even if you save a few $'s the quality is just not what you would expect for a car of this caliber.

An intake alone doesn't add power, but colder air does. A decrease of your intake air temps by 20 degrees (which the "MAX AIR" does) adds an average of about 8rwhp to a BPU car. On a hot 90 degree plus day the "MAX AIR" can easily add about 15rwhp. This increase is equal or greater than people have seen from cam gears and it's easier on the engine.

Hope this helps, Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'm getting the picture here now : )

I'm going for the TRM exhaust and a mechanical Boost Gauge...

Saves money for the bodykit I want...

More oppinions are truly welcomed...

Thanx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts