Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to find info on how to get an already FL legal JDM MKIV to be US DOT legal. I know its been done before by 1 or 2 members here, but wonder if its only based on the 'show/track car-only' with the yearly mileage restrictions.
Are there only a few specific shops that will do the work needed to have it deemed US-roadworthy? And am I correct to believe once it gets its own US VIN, it would be able to be insured as an actual Toyota Supra instead of insured as a 'grey market' vehicle.

*Flame suit on*

Thanks in advance,
Christian

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Mine came in through FL and the title easily transfered over to TX. It has a vin # based on its original chassis code, so it won't show up as a supra when your insurance company enters the VIN into their computers.
It shows as a supra on the title and in my insurance documents, but I had to have the "vin" verified by the insurance company in person more than a few times because they thought they had made an error.

·
JDM Driver
‘95 Supra 6sp Hardtop
345 Posts
From what i was told (correct me if I'm wrong), when applying for vehicle title in Florida, the DMV inspects the vehicle for proper functioning and safety. Florida DMVs are also associated with that state's NHTSA office. So to qualify for a vehicle title, your vehicle must only pass one inspection to fulfill the NHTSA/DOT and DMV requirements. What helps is that Florida has no emission requirements; hence it's easier to pass inspection. Once titled, title transfer is a breeze as long as all VINs match and your vehicle abide by your state's emission rules. Many people still questions the legallity of this method but there are a plethora of JDM vehicles running around the country due to this method.

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Geeze you could import yourself an Alpine Silver 6spd hardtop of any year you chose in that case :p

The most desireable rare Supra in America is the most common available TT in Japan.

Dan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts