Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got into Turbo supras and I have a few questions if you don't mind. I have tried searching around for the info first before posting. I have a ~350 awhp Eclipse that still embarasses my brand new (to me :) ) Supra and want to change that.

1. What is the most pressure you can run on stock turbos and upgraded turbos? I see these guys running enormous pressure on bigger singles, etc. I assume this is with race fuel. Must you always stay below 18 psi with premium pump gas no matter what turbo you have? What can the head realistically handle?

2. What on the cooling system must be changed to upgrade the turbos? I know of several who play it safe with a fluiddyne and different fans. I also know of one guy with a T66 who fried his built machine because he had stock cooling system (oops).

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry if I missed a thread somewhere. Just trying to get into the specifics of the 2JZGTE versus my old 4G63 tech knowledge.

Peace

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Typically MKIV owners boost their car to 18psi but my max boost is set at 20psi, although I do have a FMIC. Regardless of 18-20 the car in good trim will put down 400rwhp+.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Unlike the 4G63, the stock 2jz head gasket will hold virtually any amount of boost, assuming proper octane and tuning. I don't know if anyone goes crazy on the stock ECU though.

The stock turbos can't really hold more than 20 psi anyways, most people run 18 on pump gas.

The cooling system should be fine as long as you stick with the stock fans, unless you road race....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK

Hey, thanks for the really quick replies. One more question, then. Can you run above 18 psi with aftermarket turbo(s) on pump gas? Is there a rule of thumb such as that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts